Talk

Advanced search

Owwww - breasts engorged - what do I do?

(23 Posts)
Boobz Mon 07-Sep-09 20:49:44

I am weaning LO (6 months) off the boob onto the bottle (work / child care reasons). I go back to work in 2 weeks time and for the past 2 weeks have replaced the 11am and 3pm feeds with the bottle, so have been BF-ing in the morning and evening (and one night feed).

My boobs coped with this, but this week I wanted to drop the evening feed so I am just doing morning (and any night feeds she wants) on the boob but I'm now in AGONY! I've always had far more milk than seemed appropriate (leaking everywhere for the past 6 months) and so I knew it was going to be a bit of a struggle, but this is ridiculous! I'm on my 3 bra / top of the day and my right boob is like a boulder (am sure left will catch up by morning). What do I do? I don't want to stimulate them by machine expressing - do I just hand express? How much do I express off? How long does it take to adjust? What's it going to be like when I drop the morning feed as well in 2 weeks time?

Any advice? Or is it just a case of "leave them be - they'll sort themselves out, and in the meantime you'll leak a lot and be in pain"?

OWWWWWWW

Boobz Mon 07-Sep-09 20:51:02

Oh, and will I get mastitis??

LackaDAISYcal Mon 07-Sep-09 20:59:12

Ouch, sore boobs are horrible sad, but please don't just leave them be as you're running the risk of blocked ducts and mastitis.

Have you had a look on kellymom, for any advice? I would express enough to make you feel comfortable/take the pressure off so to speak.

I did a quick search and found THIS which may give some advice. I was never convinced about the cabbage leaves though; it doesn't seem to work for me!

If you have an abundant supply, have you thought about feeding morning and evening and nights as needed and either formula or just water in the day? If your LO is happy mixed feeding, this might be a nice compromise?

LackaDAISYcal Mon 07-Sep-09 21:00:33

cross posts boobz. mastitis is a real possibility.

fannybanjo Mon 07-Sep-09 21:04:06

Boobz, you could have been me 3 weeks ago, I posted an similar thread.

I ended up with blocked milk ducts and it was AGONY. I ended up just having to put warm flannels on boobs and biding my time.

Hope you feel better soon.

fannybanjo Mon 07-Sep-09 21:05:41

As Lacks says, just express enough off to relieve discomfort.

<hijack> remember me Lacks - pgwithnumber3! Hope you are well. <hijack over! - sorry boobz!>

LackaDAISYcal Mon 07-Sep-09 21:20:22

oooh hello fb grin. I was wondering about you the other day, but couldn't remember your new name!

will look for you to catch up another time smile

juuule Mon 07-Sep-09 21:23:58

As others have said, express just enough to relieve the discomfort.
Also, get a green cabbage, put a couple of leaves in the fridge to cool and then put them around your breast inside your bra.
Sounds mad but it works for some (worked for me)

Boobz Mon 07-Sep-09 21:26:37

Did it get better then Fanny? Are they back to normal now? Off to search for your thread...

Lacks - am defo stopping all BF-ing now - it's also due to other reasons other than child care / work, but thanks for the advice, and the link. I have tried to take it slowly over a space of a few weeks but obviously not slowly enough!

LackaDAISYcal Mon 07-Sep-09 22:09:32

aw, I hope I didn't come over all evangelical boobz blush, just some women don't realise that there is an alternative to the all or nothing scenario smile

The only experience I have is with my DS1 seven years ago, but he was only about 6 weeks. I just expressed a couple of ozs whenever it got too bad, but things were uncomfortable. iirc it started to ease after a week and I was fine after two weeks.

Boobz Tue 08-Sep-09 20:00:55

No No Lacks - not at all!

Boobs a bit more manageable tonight, but only just!

Owwww!

fannybanjo Tue 08-Sep-09 22:21:31

Glad boobs are better Boobz!

It seems like an eternity since I last breast fed DD3 but it was only 3 weeks ago. sad I really miss that closeness, feel very sad.

Boobz Wed 09-Sep-09 19:41:13

I am feeling it too Fanny -- I am down to the morning feed (and middle of the night feed, if she wakes up - she has started to sleep through - yay!) and the rest is bottle. Makes me feel very sad too. Really really sad. How old is your DD?

Boobz Wed 09-Sep-09 19:45:29

And you have the most beautiful kids Fanny - just gorgeous..

fannybanjo Wed 09-Sep-09 19:45:31

DD3 is 7 months. I fed DD1 until 9 months and bother DD2 and DD3 until 6.5 months. I loved every minute of it but was ready to give up as they were all night feeding monsters! DD3 was feeding every hour only a month ago, basically using me as a dummy. She is now sleeping through the night! That isn't because she is on formula though, it is more the fact that she isn't waking for the comfort of me BUT it is those special times that I miss. I feel like she has grown up all of a sudden and doesn't need me anymore!

Your DD is 6 months? What date was she born. DD3 was 4 February. I had a labour thread on here and it is very strange to go back and read it as I was chattering on here up until an hour and half before she was born! Nice to have that to look back on, wish I had of done it with DD1 and DD2!

fannybanjo Wed 09-Sep-09 19:48:20

Meant to say both not bother!

Hows that for a crossed post! 2 seconds in it!

Your little girl is GORGEOUS and thank you for complimenting mine, they are fab but I am biased! I need to put some more up to date pics on.

Boobz Wed 09-Sep-09 20:15:58

I too had a labour thread on here - and I've gone back and read it more than once - tears me up every time!

Pen is actually closer to 5.5 months - born on Mother's Day (22nd March). I've still got the morning feed for another 10 days or so (or I might even stretch it out a week longer than that, as she's starting nursery and I might keep a boob feed going for a her first few days there so it's not all too much for her!)

Oh I shall miss it. DH is pleased to be "reclaiming the breast" however. Until LO#2....

fannybanjo Wed 09-Sep-09 21:13:42

Boobz, show me your thread and i'll show you mine... here

By the way. 3 girls is THE BEST!!!

fannybanjo Wed 09-Sep-09 21:17:17

I was pgwithnumber3 if you are confused...

Boobz Wed 09-Sep-09 21:45:42

How long have you got?

Labour started on page 34 on this thread here:

Original general homebirth thread which I started and eventually turned into my labour thread

and finished here:

The thread where I gave birth

My DH posts on them but you can tell it's him - we have a different literary style.

Enjoy!

<off to read your thread>

<bet these links don't work>

Boobz Wed 09-Sep-09 21:46:25

Ha! They worked! I am a geeeee-nius!

Boobz Wed 09-Sep-09 21:58:18

Dammit - your thread is all witty and funny. Mine is all whiney and I CAN'T DOOOOO THIS!

fannybanjo Thu 10-Sep-09 21:41:07

LOL! Your's is your first DD, I was on my third, I think if I had had a thread for DD1, it would have been a MN classic for the longest amount of time it takes to push a baby out of a fanny! The only words I uttered during delivery of DD1 were "I CAN'T DO THIS!"

Your's was great too, it is so interesting to read other people's birthing and labour stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now