Talk

Advanced search

nystatin suspension for newborn oral thrush - will it still work if just swallowed?

(16 Posts)
forevermore Mon 07-Sep-09 18:03:04

my 11 day old DD has oral thrush. i noticed it from day 5 but only just got treatment yesterday. she has had 3 doses of nystatin suspension which is a think liquid. but she just seems to swallow it. i have daktarin gel for nipples.

even though she swallows it will it still work? anyone had a positive outcome with this combination of treatments.

TIA for any advice

forevermore Mon 07-Sep-09 18:03:49

think = thicksmile

TheDMshouldbeRivened Mon 07-Sep-09 18:06:25

we use daktarin oral gel because it coats the gums and lips better. nystatin just vanishes!

forevermore Mon 07-Sep-09 18:07:14

oh yes, and do i need to wash nipples before feeding her if daktarin gel is still on them (double treatment??) or is it okay for her to 'suck it off' IFYSWIM

forevermore Mon 07-Sep-09 18:08:43

the thrush is just on her tongue and found it difficult to get the gel on the back of her tonguehmm any ideas on the best way to coat the tongue if i switch to daktarin. she is only 11 days old and less than 8lb.

Scorps Mon 07-Sep-09 18:10:06

I would put daktarin in her mouth too. Do not clean off your nipples before a feed, it helps to protect, etc.

Hot wash bras, change breast pads often.

Can oyu ask GP for fluconazole? Only thing that cleared mine, thank god!

Scorps Mon 07-Sep-09 18:10:50

put the gel on your little finger, let her suck finger but brush tongue with it at same time iyswim. It being on your nipple before a feed will really help too.

Scorps Mon 07-Sep-09 18:11:37

My dd had oral thrush at 10 days. It will go, it will be ok keep feeding!

tiktok Mon 07-Sep-09 18:24:40

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/thrush-and-breastfeeding.html is a good leaflet on treatment for babies.

Oral gel no longer recommended for babies under 4 mths.

theyoungvisiter Mon 07-Sep-09 18:29:48

I had nyastin for my 2 week old DS2. He hated it and most of it dribbled down his front or was swallowed, but it did the trick so I presume enough "stuck" to make it ok. One thing I did was to administer at least one dose last thing at night when he was very, very sleepy. It seemed to help.

I have used daktarin too (for DS1 who was slightly older when he had thrush) and realistically even daktarin gets swallowed so I don't think it makes a huge difference at the end of the day.

Anyway both treatments worked for us, and I didn't need fluconazole.

octopusinabox Mon 07-Sep-09 20:11:20

I used to put just put drops of it on my finger and rub it around my baby's mouth. Took ages to do the whole dose but we were deperately trying to get rid of some very resistant thrush so didn't want to risk her not being treated properly. It seemed to work well.

forevermore Mon 07-Sep-09 20:36:14

i have been told to use four times a day, should i use through the night too ( ia m up breastfeeding most nights) or just use during daylight hours?

i think i will try using my finger next time

Caro1302 Mon 07-Sep-09 20:56:48

We're using it at the moment. I'm also using my finger to coat as much of her mouth as possible, but I'm not doing it overnight. It's hard enough waking up enough to feed at night smile

nigglewiggle Mon 07-Sep-09 21:03:08

I also recommend hot washing of bedding, bras and towels. It all helps to kill the spores. You need to hit it head on otherwise, if you don't kill all of the spores it will start off again.

Tiktok - why is oral gel no longer recommended for under 4 months? Just interested as DD2 had it at 8 weeks.

nigglewiggle Mon 07-Sep-09 21:05:36

Tiktok - cancel that - actually read your link and have the answer blush.

theyoungvisiter Mon 07-Sep-09 21:09:27

I'm not a medic, but based on the advice my GP gave me, I don't think it matters too much when you administer it, except that you should try to give it before the longest feed gaps, so that it stays in the mouth the maximum amount of time before you wash it off with milk.

Hard with a newborn though - I never knew whether mine were about to do a 5 hour sleep or a 5 hour feeding frenzy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now