Talk

Advanced search

Going back to work in Nov-trying to introduce bottle but DD refusing either with EBM or formula - help needed

(6 Posts)
littleduck Mon 07-Sep-09 12:25:44

DD is currently 18 weeks and will be 6 months when I go back to work in Nov.

She has been exclusively breastfed since birth and I am pleased to say it has gone well, I am happy breastfeeding and we have had very few problems apart from a very painful case of nipple thrush a few weeks back which has thankfully cleared up now.

I am trying to introduce a bottle to give her plenty of time to get used to it before I go back to work. Ideally I will want to stop breastfeeding completely soon after going back.

I have tried a number of different bottles and teats, the only ones we have had any success at all with are MAM and Tommee Tippee but even then she would not take more than half an oz of EBM. She would take the tiny amount of milk the first time we tried each make or bottle but on subsequent occasions she seems to recognise the bottles and refuse them. She wouldn't take any EBM at all from NUK and Avent bottles and completely refuses any formula from any bottle.

I have tried to introduce the bottles in a gentle way but she becomes upset very quickly if I persist with a bottlefeed once she has started to refuse. I have taken the bottle away when this happens as I thought that forcing the bottle on her would be counterproductive.

However time is ticking by and I am getting very worried about what to do. I am concerned that she will become dehydrated if she continues to refuse the bottles. HV says that she must have milk during the day at 6 mths but as she is even rejecting EBM I am concerned that she will suffer nutritionally as well as running the risk of dehydration. As I say I am aiming to stop breastfeeding shortly after starting work again which will mean dropping evening and morning feeds so what on earth do I do if she still won't take a bottle then?

Please help. I am loving my maternity leave and would probably not go back to work for a lot longer if I had a choice but we need the money simply to pay the bills. I don't want the last few weeks of this precious time with my daughter to be turned into a battleground but clearly we need to find some way forward to ensure that her nutritional needs are met once she is at nursery.

your thoughts as ever much appreciated.

lowrib Mon 07-Sep-09 12:27:55

I'm due to go back to work soon, no advice as such I'm afraid but watching with interest.

mum2JRC Mon 07-Sep-09 13:48:30

Are you the one trying to give the bottle as it might be a reason she is refusing when she knows she can get the boob. Try getting someone else to give her a bottle with you not in the room as it might make a difference.

Also have you tried a sippy type of cup or an open cup like a Doidy?

My first son used to use the 'cow cup' by amaedus (?spelling) for his daytime milk from about 6/7 mths.

My second son is still breastfed and we have just started blw now he's 6 months. He will take some good sips of water from both a doidy/ open cup and also slurps from a tommy tippy sippy cup. I'm not sure though he would get the quantities of milk through these means though.

I hope it improves for you

littleduck Mon 07-Sep-09 14:20:39

Thanks for your replies so far.

We have tried DP giving the bottles with me out of the room as well as me giving them with the same result regardless - so a bit stumped really.

Any more help most gratefully received

littleduck Mon 07-Sep-09 20:09:59

bump...... any help or suggestions would be so much appreciated.

emmadilemma69 Mon 07-Sep-09 20:19:37

I have just discovered breastflow bottles after 9 months of spending a fortune on bottles and pouring good EBM down the sink!

1st shot - 7 oz taken without any protest - amazing - they are designed for breatfeeding baby's and worka s the bbay uses the same technique as when BF'ing... have a look of the website www.breastflow.co.uk and read all the positive feedback....

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now