Talk

Advanced search

Painkillers while BFing?

(6 Posts)
shell96 Mon 07-Sep-09 08:51:33

Can anyone remind me what painkillers I can take while I'm breastfeeding?

I'm trying to remember what the doc told me I could take while pregnant and think it is paracetomal but just wanted to check?

Cheers

primigravida Mon 07-Sep-09 08:54:59

Paracetomol is fine. Best taken straight after a feed.

fleacircus Mon 07-Sep-09 08:56:06

I took paracetamol and ibuprofen on MW's advice to get me through recurrent mastitis.

weegiemum Mon 07-Sep-09 08:57:54

Depends what it is for and if it is prescribed.

I took some much stronger painkiller while bf for a particular condition I had ... but had to see a doc about it. I would say that Paracetamol and Ibuprofen are fine.

shell96 Mon 07-Sep-09 08:58:14

Thanks [relieved emoticon] off to get some now then!

MrsSantoslovestheBBC Mon 07-Sep-09 09:29:39

Just for future reference, you might want to check out the Breastfeeding Network Drugs information website It is produced by a pharmacist.

There are the usual disclaimers so you would also need to check with your MW or GP as well in case there are special circumstances for you or your baby.

Most drugs are not licensed for use when breastfeeding because clinical trials haven't been done but a surprising number can be used as long as your doctor knows what you are doing. I was quite ill when DD1 was tiny and EBF and able to take co-codamol for a short time in consultation with my GP, a BFC and info from the website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now