Talk

Advanced search

How much milk when you start weaning

(6 Posts)
orka14 Sat 05-Sep-09 21:28:36

Hi! I've started weaning my daughter three weeks ago (She is a bit over 5 months), it all went well until she started to go to nursery last week. Suddenly she seems to drink vast amounts of milk and eat tons of food!
I am not sure how much milk she needs when she also takes solids, does anybody know? When do you stop giving one of the milk feeds?
I am BF her at 6 am, she has a bottle of about 180 ml at 10 ish, vegetables (one jar of about 130 g) and another 180 ml bottle at around 1, then I BF her at 5 when I pick her up, and she has her last feed at 7 p.m. I am only giving her breastmilk and express in the morning and at lunchtime. If you follow books such as Annabel Karmel, she shouldn't actually need the bottle at lunchtime at this stage, just water and solids! I've tried today to give her some fruit with her 10 o'clock milk, and she seemed ok just with veg at lunchtime. She went until 4:30 when she wanted another feed. I don't want her to go hungry in nursery, but last week she drank 380 ml one day and 480 ml of milk the next in the daytime, and I get the impression she is either fed every time she is upset or she compensates for me not being there! And when I pick her up, she is not bothered about a feed, which doesn't help my supply...Would appreciate some opinions.

Seona1973 Sat 05-Sep-09 23:41:16

at 5 months I wouldnt cut any milk feeds at all as milk is still most important. A minimum of 20oz is recommended from 6 months once solids are well established so at 5 months your lo should be taking a lot more than that. When ds first started weaning at 5 1/2 months he still had 5 milk feeds per day and didnt cut down to 4 feeds till he was 8 months old.

girlafraid Sun 06-Sep-09 08:34:48

Agree, I wouldn't cut milk at all and would wait for her to cut feed herself which she will quite naturally when taking on more solids. After 6 months when you introduce more substantial foods they will fill her up more

hackedoffandcross Sun 06-Sep-09 15:32:16

MY DS is BF but eats tons of solids, 3 good meals a day plus snacks and still has 6-7 milk feeds daily, so sounds fine really. As Seona said, milk still the main source of nutrition at this age so I wouldn't worry about reducing the milk for a good while yet, you will know when she is ready. DD was FF at 5months but didn't start reducing milk feeds til 7-8 months.

orka14 Sun 06-Sep-09 17:17:43

Thanks everybody for your help! i am still not quite convinced though. I read that babies are pretty good at adapting when mum isn't around and take more milk in the mornings and evenings instead. don't get me wrong, I don't want to starve my daughter! I tried not giving her milk at lunchtime this weekend, and she was absolutely fine, just seemed to take more milk at the other times I fed her. I will try sending in about 220 ml tomorrow and just solids for lunch. will tell the nursery to also give her fruit puree with her milk at ten and maybe some after lunch. I find that if I send in too much milk to nursery she doesnt feed much of me in the evening which then affects my supply. Any opinions on that?

brettgirl2 Mon 07-Sep-09 09:02:54

Well just try it and see how it goes. I would have thought before 6 months she would need 5 milk feeds, but she may well take another very late evening instead?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now