Talk

Advanced search

5 weeks in to bf now and have some Q's. <<smiles nicely at tiktok>>

(9 Posts)
suwoo Sat 05-Sep-09 17:24:15

Me again grin (big loss then slow to gain DS)

1) If DS starts fussing on breast but milk is still coming out should I persevere rather than switching? I am changing position and using compression to keep him interested.

2) DS's poos are still a very dark green colour and a bit stringy, very much like spinach. Could this be down to frequent switching? They don't smell too great but could this be the fenugreek or anti biotics that I am taking?

3) When latching on he is frequently moving his tongue to the top of his mouth and it may take up to 10 goes to get it right. Is he just keen? This has only started in last 2 days.

I think that is it for now. As ever, I am very grateful for everyones help.

suwoo Sat 05-Sep-09 17:51:04

Oh and

4) How can I tell when breast is 'empty'? They never seem to feel any different except in the morning when I am engorged a bit.

tiktok Sat 05-Sep-09 19:36:33

suwoo : you've had issues with weight gain, right? But your baby is basically ok and growing, yes?

If your baby is fussing and indicating he wants to stop bf, then let him stop....he may be interested again a bit later.

Don't really see a big deal in the poos, to be honest - dark green and stringy is on the normal spectrum anyway. Yes, could be linked to freq. switching, but that's ok.

Not sure I can answer about the tongue - would have to see it happening. You could try diff posits to see if he was less likely to do it. Might just be a keen baby, as you say, still not quite 100 per cent skilled at getting bf to work from the word 'go'.

You don't need to aim for 'empty breasts'. Breasts don't normally empty totally anyway - they always have some milk in.

HTH

suwoo Mon 07-Sep-09 15:54:34

Thanks tiktok, that is helpful. I am trying to persevere with him for longer on one breast to see if that helps his weight gain. He has had some yellow poos since I have done this.

The latch thing is a bit annoying as its like he's forgotton. He seems to lift his tongue up and down when he feels the nipple touch his lips, I just have to keep trying until he gets it right.

tiktok Mon 07-Sep-09 15:57:51

suwoo: you say "I am trying to persevere with him for longer on one breast to see if that helps his weight gain"....someone has told you 'he isn't getting the hindmilk'...yes? Not really helpful It's volume of milk that puts the weight on. That's why switch nursing is recommended for babies whose weight is faltering.

Don't 'make' him stay on one side longer than he seems to want to. Follow his lead. Switch him to the other side when he seems to want to go there. And then back again to the first one.

suwoo Mon 07-Sep-09 17:29:35

He just fusses and pu.lls off after so long, he will stay on though if I switch position and use breast compression. Should I switch at the first sign of fussiness then? Just desperate for him to gain this week as I have stopped the top ups. Not that I was really doing them much anyway grin.

tiktok Mon 07-Sep-09 18:20:56

suwoo - best to use your judgement Prob not take him off at first sign of fussiness - and prob a good idea to change position if it helps to make him comfortable. Breast compresh is fine.

suwoo Tue 08-Sep-09 09:08:56

The reason I started trying to 'empty' the breast was because I had mastitis and then I realised that he seemed to be doing ok and was able to stay on one side for longer so thought I would experiment with that.

Tomorrow is weigh day so we'll see. Am considering lying to DH if he doesn't gain hmm

UndomesticatedGoddess Tue 08-Sep-09 20:34:17

Good luck with your weigh in tomorrow Suwoo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now