(30 Posts)
Tipex Wed 01-Jun-05 18:48:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bakedpotato Wed 01-Jun-05 19:35:42

I can't answer your questions, but I swear by dreamfeeds

Tipex Thu 02-Jun-05 19:36:26

beansprout Thu 02-Jun-05 19:45:33

Swear by it myself. At his age there is only so long he can go without feeding. I used to cluster feed ds before he went to bed, and the dream feed would then see him through. You can always reduce it slowly when you want to eliminate it. Good luck.

SoftFroggie Thu 02-Jun-05 20:00:14

I've done this with both DSs.

DS1 slept through from about 6wks - sure it helped.

DS2 - I reckon it helps, but he hasn't slept though (midnight to 6am) more than a handful of times since birth (now 5.5 mo). Yuck.

evansmummy Thu 02-Jun-05 22:37:39

Had exactly same trouble as you! Some MNers ardently recommended dreamfeeding and I haven't looked back. You don't actually need to wake your lo - so you don't encourage night-time waking. If you don't put on any lights and don't make any noise, then baby doesn't wake up! It's actually come to be my favourite bf of the day cos it's calm and sweet and quiet. I say definitely go for it! But be warned, it may take a few days to work - it took us about a week of df'ing for ds to sleep through (7 til 7, df at 11ish). Good luck, and let us know how you go!!

ambrosia Thu 02-Jun-05 22:40:31

madrose Thu 02-Jun-05 23:42:18

sounds interesting - so what do you do? Do you just pcik up the baby and place them to the breast?

Sorry - but not heard of it before,

fatmomma Thu 02-Jun-05 23:53:04

Never heard it called a dream feed before but, being a devotee of Aunty Gina, I always woke ds at 10pm for a feed. He would then go through until 2am and then wake at 7am to start the day. It was also a good way to encourage me to go to bed at a decent time as I am a bit of a night owl by habit.

Tipex Fri 03-Jun-05 13:58:27

bakedpotato Fri 03-Jun-05 14:42:56

I know we all say 'keep the lights low' etc, but when introducing a dreamfeed you may need to be quite assertive at first, in order to get him to fill his boots. If his sleep pattern is quite entrenched, and he's used to being in a very deep sleep at this stage, it may take some more effort to persuade him to chug away.

It may seem bonkers but if he's really sleepy it's worth switching on lights, legs out of babygro etc to wake him up (I did this with both of mine initially), at least for the first side. Then when you switch him over, you could lower lights and wrap him up again so he's warm and more likely to slip back to sleep when you put him down. Before long you will be able to feed him without him really waking up.

He may be waking out of habit later on, so if you can, wait and see if he really rouses/cries before feeding him at 1.40. He might settle himself. You never know.

Sponge Fri 03-Jun-05 14:56:46

We still do it for my ds at 10 months!
He has his tea at about 5 then doesn't want much milk generally at bedtime (7.30) so we give hiom a bottle at about 10.30 when we go to bed and this sees him through until at least 7 most mornings. If he doesn't have it he does wake up in the night. It's no trouble though, he barely wakes up and goes straight back to sleep afterwards and it's lovely to have a little snuggly cuddle with him before bed. He's on bottles now which might make it easier - not usre.

muppety Fri 03-Jun-05 18:21:14

Dreamfeed with ds1 helped but he would only take ebm. I think its becasue when asleep easier to suck on a bottle than latch on etc.

jessicasmummy Fri 03-Jun-05 18:24:15

we stil ldream feed jessica and she is 10 months - she took 5oz at 10pm last night, and when i went up at 12.30am i offered her some more, and she sunk 8oz!

Slept through until 7.30am!

madrose Sat 04-Jun-05 00:19:45

I tried for the first time last night. At midnight, I fed her for about 10mins, put her back down, she 'snuffled' for about 10 mins. But she still woke at 4am for a feed. will leave it tonight but will try again tomorrow.

it was interesting how she fed when asleep - bizarre

jessicasmummy Sat 04-Jun-05 00:20:50

my babe has always fed while asleep.... you just tease her lips with the bottle and she starts sucking!

madrose Sat 04-Jun-05 00:22:25

it is quite amazing - sorry but do find this baby thing rather wonderful

Tipex Sat 04-Jun-05 10:02:41

madrose Sat 04-Jun-05 22:37:30

Tipex, let me know how it works out. I was going to give it ago tonight - but I'm so tired - i'm scared to wake her up as I really need to get a couple of hours sleep, so going to crash out in a mo.

But i'm really interested in this dream feeing thing, so really interested in how you get on.

Good luck

beansprout Sat 04-Jun-05 22:42:19

It's worth a go. If you are b/f they can smell the milk (this may apply with formula too, anyone?) and if they are hungry the idea is they will just feed. You are the most comforting, lovely place for a baby so they are not too likely to be really stimulated by being gently picked up and offered a breast. It definitely works for us. If they do wake up, keep it all v low key so they don't get any time-to-party cues and that included no eye contact.

Off to do mine now - good luck to anyone trying it!

Frizbe Sat 04-Jun-05 22:43:53

I'll just add my four penneth and say it worked for us when dd was younger, she started to go from 11-6am, then 10-6am, bliss!

jessicasmummy Sat 04-Jun-05 22:45:43

Jess lies in her cot, we dont lift her, jsut offer the bottle.

She would only take 4/5oz to start with but the last few nights we have heated the dream feed bottle (she always had room temp before) and she will now sink 8oz and sleep through. She has NEVER slept through before so we are dead happy.

I dont care if i still have to dream feed her now she is 10 months old, for me, its getting her to sleep through the night and once that is established we will bring the dream feed back by 15 minutes a night until she has the bottle before bed.

Do keep going as it will save a lot of hassle in the long run, wish i had done it earlier tbh!

Frizbe Sat 04-Jun-05 22:56:11

you do sit her up a bit don't you tho, just remember it being bad for their lungs, if its a formula feed, for them to lie flat, bits can get in apparently, thread about it somewhere?

milward Sat 04-Jun-05 23:09:24

I managed to get through the night with co-sleeping. Slept with my dd next to me and just bf on demand through the night. Didn't have to get up so I could dream feed as well as little one. Best wishes.

jessicasmummy Sat 04-Jun-05 23:11:15

Frizbe - nope - never have sat her up..... oh my god, BAD MUMMY ALERT..... HELP!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: