Talk

Advanced search

7-mth-old refusing breast and any liquid!

(8 Posts)
Beccatheboo Thu 03-Sep-09 21:24:34

For the past few days my 7-mth-old DS has been very on-and-off the breast, but yesterday and today he's refused to feed - biting me if I encourage him too much. Had a very bad night with him crying for a feed but screaming even more when I tried to feed him. Tried to give him expressed milk and water but he didn't want those either. Today I've tried expressed milk, formula, water and watered-down juice but he's taken a few sips at most. Spoke to HV who didn't have much to say other than keep trying painkillers, as it does seem as if teething (top teeth) is probably to blame (he's pulling his hair). Even after applying teething gel and giving him calpol/Nurofen he still won't feed. As we are going on holiday in a couple of days the HV suggested taking him to the doctor to rule out an ear/throat infection, but the doctor just took his temperature and told me he was fine. I told her I was concerned about dehydration but she didn't seem at all bothered and laughed that he obviously just wants 'steak and chips' and is holding out for his dad's beer...! (I would like to point out that I do not give him these!!) I obviously am concerned about lack of liquids, specifically milk at this young age. I have been expressing to try to keep up my supply (albeit not as frequently as I probably should, as I don't like to do it in front of my 3-year-old DS). What shall I do?! Someone...?

thisisyesterday Thu 03-Sep-09 21:28:36

your GP sounds like a twat! i would get a second opinion.
it could just be teeth, but as i was reading it the first thing I thought was sore throat or something like that.
so take him again and get them to have a proper look.
I too would be worried about dehydration if he literally is having only sips now and then of any liquid.
are his nappies still wet?

have you tried giving calpol and ibuprofen and waiting for 15-20 mins beofre afeed to give it time to kick in?
ooh also, try feeding him while he is asleep, or almost asleep. sometimes they'll take the breast in their sleep without really realising and you can get a fair bit into them

mathanxiety Fri 04-Sep-09 05:43:50

Did the doctor look in the baby's ear with the ear thingy? My second DC pulled his hair when he had an ear infection. Also refused to bf; I think it hurt him to lie on his side and swallow.

TanteRose Fri 04-Sep-09 05:52:28

"she didn't seem at all bothered and laughed that he obviously just wants 'steak and chips' and is holding out for his dad's beer...!" hmmhmm
your GP sounds a right larf hmm

how is your DS this morning? Is he still producing wet nappies? I too would be worried about dehydration...you need to make sure he is still weeing...if not, then take him back to the GP, or A&E even...

Beccatheboo Fri 04-Sep-09 09:48:23

Thanks for your replies. I really was at the end of my tether in the early hours, pleading with him to drink something, anything! (Think lack of feeding is affecting my hormones!) Eventually he had a very small breastfeed, and two more this morning (only to quench his thirst really). Nappies barely have any liquid in them still. He's now got a stinker of a cold so think that has been behind things.

No, the doctor didn't check in his ears or his throat (thankfully she's not my usual GP). Wouldn't it be great if there were 'special' GPs who you could go to with babies, ones who are specially trained to deal with breastfeeding concerns etc.

Hope I can re-establish better feeding before my holiday tomorrow...

thisisyesterday Fri 04-Sep-09 13:22:57

if his nappies barely have any liquid in them take him to a&e, or a walk-in centre if you have one.
Or, if you think there may be a more sympathetic GP at your surgery then see if you can get an emerfgency appt.

really, if he gets very dehydrated then he'll be poorly and you';ll end up in hospital anyway, so best to get it sorted asap!

mathanxiety Fri 04-Sep-09 15:31:37

Blimey, how about a GP who showed some evidence of being a qualified doctor? You need to get his ears looked at. Is his nose all stuffed up? You could try a bit of vicks not on baby but on you, up near your collar bone, to clear the nose while feeding.

girlafraid Fri 04-Sep-09 19:29:02

My DS recently refused to take on any liquid when poorly, about the same age.
He became quite dehydrated very quickly so your GP is a git

My GP recommended using a medicine syringe to squirt a little water directly into DS mouth if he was refusing all liquid - not very nice but sometimes necessary and only a little is needed to avoid dehydration

DS was all better after a couple of days, hope your DS is better soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now