Talk

Advanced search

question abt storing EBM

(4 Posts)
isasmama Thu 03-Sep-09 17:37:55

DD is now 5 wks old. I am combined feeding. I am having problems with my supply so I just started to express. I tried an hour back for 45 mins and managed to get just half an ounce altogether from both sides.

Anyway, I have now put it in the fridge in a sterlized bottle and I understand it will last there for 24 hours.

I will try expressing again in half an hour. What I want to know is, can I mix whatever I manage to express now with the milk already in the fridge?

Shanster Thu 03-Sep-09 17:56:10

Expressed breast milk is safe for 5 days in the fridge, you only have to use it within 24 hours if it has previously been frozen. You should be fine to add any new milk to the same bottle.

asuwere Thu 03-Sep-09 18:04:17

It is safe to add to the milk but I always chilled the second lot of milk before adding it, if that makes sense? Just put the second bottle in the fridge for 30mins (or till I remembered) then put it in the first bottle. Just seemed wrong to add warm milk to cold... Could just be my weird logic though.

kellymom has some good info on storing

isasmama Thu 03-Sep-09 18:50:34

oh great..thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now