Talk

Advanced search

My Milk Supply... advice please

(4 Posts)
MummaHG Thu 03-Sep-09 16:26:40

Hi all, im after some advice please as im very concerned about my recent milk supply.

My DS is almost 11 weeks old and up until 3 days ago seemed very happy & contented with each & every feed. He has mostly fed every 1.5-2 hourly and at night he goes a solid 8 hours. 3 days ago my first period since birth arrived and it seems to have reduced my milk supply.... is this normal? My DS is now feeding every hour and still doesnt seem to be completly happy when he has finished. During the first 3 minuites of his feeds he wriggles around, kicks his legs and makes funny noised as if he cant get any milk out, then i get my let down and he has a good few minuits of fast flowing milk. Once this has stopped he goes back to kicking his legs, moving his hands around and making noises again, like he is getting frustrated.

Im now getting stessed & upset that maybe my milk isnt supplying what he needs. I really dont want to introduce formular at this stage, is there anything else i can do to help my supply.

Also has anyone else had this problem once their periods return, if so does it get better??
Thanks to all in advance

chibi Thu 03-Sep-09 18:01:03

my periods came back later than yours but a sinilar effect on bf.

iirc it only lasted a day or so before each period, then all back to normal.

hth

chibi Thu 03-Sep-09 18:01:57

also it did not affect bf in long term, i stopped when dd was about 18 months old, when i wanted ( not because of supply issues)

thisisyesterday Thu 03-Sep-09 18:13:11

same as chibi, i always knew when my period was about to arrive becxause ds2 would feed more frequently.
was the same very month, but only lasted a few days at most.

it won';t affect your milk supply long term, it should get back to normal pretty soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now