Talk

Advanced search

9 month old still won't drink from a cup!

(11 Posts)
Dumpy Wed 01-Jun-05 11:44:39

I have tried giving my nearly 9 month old a soft spouted drinking cup from 6 months. She is still breastfed but after her meals she only has a sip of water from her cup. I try her with it at least 3 times a day but she just isn't interested! I'm stopping breastfeeding when she is 12 months so would like her to drink milk from her cup then. Is there any way I can get her to have a good drink from her cup? I'm worried that she isn't getting enough fluids in her!

motherinferior Wed 01-Jun-05 11:47:00

Sweetie, neither of mine were remotely interested in cups at six months - don't worry. DD1 only got the hang of cups at over a year, really, and her sister was only a bit earlier because she learned by example.

I know it feels odd to try bottles, but that might be an option. I do know that worry that one's child isn't getting enough fluid, all too well.

charleepeters Wed 01-Jun-05 11:49:02

ds is only 9 months and occasionally drinks from a spout cup if i hold it for him, e cant hold his cup or bottle very well. i found that he prefered a cup with a soft spout as some of them can be hard. i got one from tesco, there own brand trainer cup its the only one he will take.

handlemecarefully Wed 01-Jun-05 11:49:35

Mine were initially breast fed and then switched to bottle at around 6 months. I half heartedly tried a conversion to a beaker but they would only take juice from a beaker not milk. Continued to give them milk from a bottle - and dd sort of self weaned herself off milk altogether some time between 18 months and 2 years (she gets calcium from other dairy products). Ds at 13 months is already dropping his milk intake...(still using bottles)

Tbh my view is don't sweat the small stuff. If they will take a beaker all well and good, if they don't - so what! Can't see much evidence of tooth decay etc with dd

cat82 Wed 01-Jun-05 11:54:02

Hi dumpy,

Don't worry too much. Pretty much all of my freinds children were drinking from cups with spouts when they were around 10 months. My dd, on the other hand, still blatently refused anything cup like. I tried 9 different types of cup and got soooo stressed out. In the end i got her to just take small sips from one of her cups without a lid on. It was messy and we normaly got very wet but at least she was getting some fluids! Dd is now 12 months old and, just for fun, about 3 weeks ago i tried her with an "anywayup cup" with pear juice in it and miraculously she took to it straight away!!
Basicaly try to relax she will be getting all she needs from you at the moment and just keept trying every week or so with a cup, imo they will just do it when they want to!

Hope this helps a little

Lizzylou Wed 01-Jun-05 11:58:10

My DS refused a cup for ages, then, when he was about 9mths my Mom sorted it all out! When he was REALLY thirsty (for mine, thats the morning) she gave him a cup and just kept giving it back to him until in the end he just drank from it (I thought she was being a bit cruel at the time and was upset when he was crying cos he wasn't a bottle!)now he has a cup all the time and I am very grateful to my Mom!

Lizzylou Wed 01-Jun-05 11:59:07

Sorry, should add that it wasn't a soft spout or non spill one, just a bog standard Tommee Tippee where you put the spout down into the lid....get plenty of bibs on!

Havana Wed 01-Jun-05 13:43:41

Hiya
I tried for ages to get DD to take from a bottle, then from a spouty cup. Eventually just gave her milk from a normal cup, which she liked - then put the spouty lid back on and she got it this time. This was all pretty important at the time as she'd just started nursery and refused to take any milk from the bottle. She would have been about 9 months too.
Good luck.

Dumpy Fri 03-Jun-05 10:15:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Gobbledigook Fri 03-Jun-05 10:56:32

I wouldn't worry - ds3 is 9 months and he's not hot on his cup either. He just chews it! Ds1 and ds2 were the same but by 11 months they were definitely completely off bottles and on cups. YOu just need to keep going with it, keep offering it or if it's non-spill, let them 'play' with it and they will soon get used to it.

fredly Fri 03-Jun-05 11:28:42

my dd is almost 9mths old and is not in the slightest interested in cups, soft or hard spout, and I'm not in the slightest worried about it ! I give her water from a spoon at mealtimes and she seems to think it's great fun because she can spit out most of it and splash mummy !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now