Talk

Advanced search

why are money off offers not allowed on formula?????

(22 Posts)
yarrow5 Wed 02-Sep-09 20:23:21

Thats it really, i'm just curious. got my tesco clubcard vouchers the other day and even they say that they cannot be used for infant formula! Why???

sherby Wed 02-Sep-09 20:26:01

becuase of the laws protecting breastfeeding and what is and isn't allowed with the marketing of infant formula

by offering deals/money off formula you could be seen to be undermining breastfeeding etc

differentID Wed 02-Sep-09 20:28:42

becasue you cannot promote formula feeding in any way, shape or form.

nigglewiggle Wed 02-Sep-09 20:28:43

I think it is also to protect those who use formula from being drawn into using particular brand, baby gets used to it then price gets hiked up.

brettgirl2 Wed 02-Sep-09 20:37:06

But the tesco thing is pretty arbitrary as it is unlikely you would just buy formula milk.

It would be pointless because it wouldn't exactly be good for babies if people started switching depending on the week's BOGOFF offers.

yarrow5 Wed 02-Sep-09 20:43:01

i guess the BOGOFF point is a good one. is it not discriminatory towards ff mums tho. i'm all for bf & totally believe that breast is best but formula is so expensive how do people who can't afford it manage?

thisisyesterday Wed 02-Sep-09 20:47:43

well let's not forget that it's free to breastfeed and it is free to access support (ie through baby cafes or la leche league or any of the other breastfeeding support people)

if you choose to formula feed you are choosing to pay that price.

low income families are entitled to vouchers which can be used against the cost of formula

differentID Wed 02-Sep-09 20:50:04

thing is so many people who should be breastfeeding won't even consider it.

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 20:51:23

do people who can't afford it not get milk vouchers? Or is that only in certain areas - happens here?

thisisyesterday Wed 02-Sep-09 20:51:49

well quite, and subsidising it doesn't help that in the slightest

GreenMonkies Wed 02-Sep-09 20:51:57

It's The Law.

Section 19. subsection (c)(ii), (d) & (e)

Restrictions on promotion of infant formulae
19. No person shall at any place where any infant formula is sold by retail—
(a) advertise any infant formula;
(b) make any special display of an infant formula designed to promote sales;
(c) give away—
(i) any infant formula as a free sample; or
(ii) any coupon which may be used to purchase an infant formula at a discount;
(d) promote the sale of an infant formula by means of premiums, special sales, loss- leaders or tie-in sales; or
(e) undertake any other promotional activity to induce the sale of an infant formula.

Does this clarify for you? smile

random Wed 02-Sep-09 20:52:02

Because we are all so stupid that we would ff instead of bf if we got money off hmmffs

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 20:52:21

And if you genuinely can't afford it then surely relying on supermarket promotions and offers would be foolish! After all they could all stop tomorrow - I definitely noticed I wasn't getting as many 'bargains' when the recession was never out of the news!

LadyStealthPolarBear Wed 02-Sep-09 20:52:55

And there's nothing stopping any supermarket or shop offering low price formula - it just can't be an offer.

sherby Wed 02-Sep-09 20:53:06

yes you can use your health start vouchers for fruit, veg, milk or formula

so it is subsidised

thisisyesterday Wed 02-Sep-09 20:53:55

that's not the point random. it is not allowd to be promoted in any way.
and like a pp said, people may start formula feeding on a reduced price formula and it may then get whacked up again,

ilovemydogandmrobama Wed 02-Sep-09 20:54:37

Am fairly sure that it only applies to formula for babies under 6 months, not follow on formula.

GreenMonkies Wed 02-Sep-09 20:54:50

This is why manufacturers created "Follow-on" milk, it gets past the restrictions of this statute by not being aimed at "infants" (ie, 0-6 months) and by being marketed as NOT a breastmilk substitute, although what it is a substitute for I'd like to have explained to me!! angry

sherby Wed 02-Sep-09 20:55:36

yes you can promote/offer deals for follow on formula

thats why they invented it hmm

yarrow5 Wed 02-Sep-09 21:08:24

bit of a mind field really!

thisisyesterday not everyone chooses to ff!!

GreenMonkies much clearer thanks!!

thisisyesterday Wed 02-Sep-09 21:20:18

no, not everyone chooses to in the "i';m not even goign to attempt to try" way.
but the vast majority of people who hyave problems cpould solve those problems with the right help. many, (myself included, so please don't; take this the wrong way) don't choose to access that help, and instead formula feed our child.

i still regret that to this day. and i made a HUGE effort with my next child to get breastfeeding off to a good start. it was not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but i did it.

i mean, this does of course all tie in with giving women the support they need. which means not shoving free bottles of formula at them in hospital amongst other things! and making sure that when they are at their most vulnerable it is easy to get help. but that's probably a whole other thread!

yarrow5 Wed 02-Sep-09 21:26:40

very true, don't choose to access the help or, aren't aware that the help is there until its too late!! & very true a whole other thread there that i'm sure has been done before!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now