Talk

Advanced search

One nipple really sore, what's the best thing to do?

(5 Posts)
MuffinTopMamma Wed 02-Sep-09 16:33:58

Hi. Wondering if anyone could offer some advice before I seek RL advice tomorrow.
DD is 6 days old and we are, I think, off to a relatively good start with BF except that my left nipple is really sore. I suspect this either due to poor latch on one side - either due to massive engorgement whilst milk came in or due to poor latch generally.
Should I just keep going until I can see someone (it hurts really badly but I can probably cope another day) or will this lead to other problems? Alternatively should I express milk off on this side, or use shield whilst I wait for help? Sorry if this a basic question, I'm too sleep deprived to know!

Picante Wed 02-Sep-09 16:38:32

I've been using breast shells which have been a godsend. They keep clothes etc away from the nipple. I've also been using loads of lansinoh. Is it actually 'traumatised' i.e. cracked and bleeding or just sore? I'd leave that side (express) if you think you might be able to see someone tomorrow.

MuffinTopMamma Wed 02-Sep-09 18:04:42

Hi, it's bleeding and cracked. I'll go for expressing then. Would you offer this in a cup in one so young? I want to avoid bottles so early on

Picante Wed 02-Sep-09 19:47:11

Yes or syringe... or freeze it for later.

1stMrsF Sat 05-Sep-09 21:26:16

It's possible at 6 days that it will get better and isn't anything to do with latch. One of mine was cracked and bleeding at 5 days and healed and fine at 2 weeks. I used Lansinoh (masses of it every feed and inbetween) and just bit my lip when I latched on that side, and it just got better. Obviously, it's worth getting someone to check the latch, but if it's OK, it might worth just trying to hang in there for a few more days and see if it improves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now