Talk

Advanced search

can i go to the cinema?

(20 Posts)
trixiechick Wed 02-Sep-09 13:44:07

o.k. This might sound stupid but have any of you gone to the cinema with a breastfeeding baby? I'm not going to go without her as shes very unpredictable in her feeding. But she doesn't cry as long as she's fed when she asks for it and she does that quietly by attacking her fist with her mouth or making those charming tongue rolls. There are just some films i'd like to see on the big screen. What do you think? More to the point what will the cinema think?

nancy75 Wed 02-Sep-09 13:45:33

there was a mum breastfeeding in the cinema the other day, nobody seemed to take any notice (i only noticed because she was sitting next to me)

nannymcphee Wed 02-Sep-09 13:46:58

I have a funny feeling that you're only allowed to take a baby into a U film! - I know that sounds crazy! Cinemas sometimes run a Mum & baby film time so worth checking out your local.

tiktok Wed 02-Sep-09 13:47:17

If she's too young for the certification, she may not be allowed in.....honestly, this is true and some cinemas have an absolute rule about this.

lal123 Wed 02-Sep-09 13:50:02

If you are in Scotland then they have to let you breastfeed in the cinema - why would they mind?

FourArms Wed 02-Sep-09 13:53:32

I took DS1 lots of times as a tiny baby. Sometimes in a sling, but if he was asleep when we got there, then I took him in still in his car seat and he slept straight through. Good luck!

trixiechick Wed 02-Sep-09 14:01:10

No way! i can't believe they would apply certification to a newborn baby!! shock That's mad. Although thinking about it it's either a very letter of the law decision which I can sort of understand OR a canny way to refuse people bringing babies into the cinema. Which from my 'before I had a baby' life I suppose I can grudgingly understand as well. I think the mother and child cinema clubs around here are more mother and toddler with a kids film showing unfortunately. Do you think i should ring and ask or chance showing up and confusing them?
If I work up the courage to face A refusal that is. oooh it's exciting....... ooh I need to get out more!!!!

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Wed 02-Sep-09 14:30:03

I just used to go and buy my ticket and go in with mine in their car seats. Didn't say anything to the assistant and was never refused. I think if you just get on and do it and assume that you are in hte right then they just question it. Don't ask as that could lead to a refusal.

MrsGokWantstogocampingagain Wed 02-Sep-09 14:31:29

That obviously should read 'then they just DON'T question it'.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Wed 02-Sep-09 14:35:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jennster Wed 02-Sep-09 14:36:00

I believe there are cinemas that do showings of adult films for mothers and babies. The Big Scream? I'll look into it. I know a friend watched Inglorious Basterds at one the other day.

Jennster Wed 02-Sep-09 14:44:18

London screenings here

LaurieFairyCake Wed 02-Sep-09 14:47:23

Get ear defenders though as Tarantino films are loud

Jennster Wed 02-Sep-09 14:54:56

Vue Cinemas allow babies into U, 12 and 12A, but don't seem to have mother and baby sessions.

Jennster Wed 02-Sep-09 15:06:56

Odeon do them at some

UndomesticatedGoddess Wed 02-Sep-09 16:37:44

I got turned away from our local arts cinema with my 4 month old. Apparently it's something to with licensing.

However, I've taken him to loads at the local multiplex. I suspect it might be because the staff at the multiplex weren't aware he shouldn't be in there. Never asked, just took him in.

BoBoo Thu 03-Sep-09 14:48:44

I'd recommend the baby screenings if you can find them as it will be a little more geared up towards you, there'll be loads of mums breastfeeding and has the added bonus that you won't feel like a pariah if your baby starts screaming.

Jennster Thu 03-Sep-09 15:05:18

They're not as dark and not as loud too.

trixiechick Sat 05-Sep-09 12:54:17

Success!!!
I went to the cinema yesterday with dd1 in a sling all ready to take whatever happened. Not a word was said and we settled down in the cinema quite comfortably. The only problem was my delicate little flowers' snoring during the quiet parts of the film. Thankfully there weren't too many people there. Very loud though I will take your advice Laurie and use ear defenders next time. Thanks for all the advice I'm glad I tried it but I think baby screenings are probably the best idea.
Thanks for all the research Jennster!!! wink

Jennster Sat 05-Sep-09 17:15:24

You're welcome Trixie. I was doing it for myself as much though. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now