Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BFing a baby with a blocked nose

(10 Posts)
strawberrie Wed 02-Sep-09 10:41:40

My DD is 20 weeks old and has developed a snuffly cold, resulting in a very unsettled night, during which she had 2 or 3 feeds (Can't remember in sleep-addled state), I think I last fed her maybe 4 or 5 am. This morning she doesn't seem interested in feeding (normally she wakes between 6 and 7 am and wants fed immediately) - I've offered her a couple of times but she's only latched on briefly and then come off, as she would when she's full. I'm guessing her blocked nose will make it a bit harder for her feed, any tips for alleviating that? And when would you start to become concerned about her not feeding?

Thanks in advance.

KirstyJC Wed 02-Sep-09 10:52:41

Both mine have done this, it's horrible isn't it? They sound so snuffly and wheezy!

I found that if you keep offering the breast, they will take what they want. DS2 has just finished a bad cold, and he really went off feeding for a while - he just latched on to feed for a few minutes, then kept letting go. I offered the other side, he did the same. I was wanting to make sure he had liquids ie the first bit of the milk, so I offered more frequently, rather than just waiting for him to ask for a feed, but other than that he just slept loads. Like I want to when I feel rough!

As long as you get wet nappies and you continue to offer the breast then I wouldn't worry. The blocked nose will make it more hard for her to feed but even if she keeps coming off the breast, if she is hungry she will keep re-latching and trying again. If she stops trying, and doesn't complain, my guess is that she's not hungry. Just keep offering it to her!

Hope she feels better soon.

Tinkerisdead Wed 02-Sep-09 10:53:29

Get some Nasosal saline drops from the pharmacy. I found they worked brilliantly, as DD would lie back ready to feed i would drop some into each nostril, she would kick up a fuss initially but the second she could breathe again she fed much better. I tried a nasal aspirator but i just couldnt get her still enough. Drops were great for us. HTH smile

MrsMagnolia Wed 02-Sep-09 12:25:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UndomesticatedGoddess Wed 02-Sep-09 16:50:52

As well as normal saline drops that theDoctorsWife suggested, you can also drop breast milk up the nose- does the same job and it's free!

You can use an oral syringe to drop in (not squirt).

MatNanPlus Wed 02-Sep-09 16:53:48

You can use cooled boiled water too.

The naasal aspirators are great tho you do have to be holding the baby firmly

Montifer Wed 02-Sep-09 16:54:32

Bit of Vicks on your breast at about baby nose height might help and also positioning her a bit more upright whilst feeding if possible.

LackaDAISYcal Wed 02-Sep-09 16:57:44

I used a Weleda product called Rhinodon when DS2 had a really stuffed up nose. It seemed to work better than saline drops for us and is licensed for use from 3months.

If you need something quickly then a squirt of BM or some cooled boiled water will help too.

<waves to DW smile...come and say Hi>

strawberrie Wed 02-Sep-09 17:12:56

Thank you all so much for your suggestions, lots of good things to try! She has managed a few short feeds over the day so I'm not too concerned.

mathanxiety Wed 02-Sep-09 18:22:03

Sometimes a head cold can lead to an ear infection, which will affect a baby's ability to suck and swallow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now