Talk

Advanced search

Mastitis... are antibiotics absolutely necessary?

(4 Posts)
Picante Tue 01-Sep-09 07:00:24

Got a red sore patch on boob - feels hot and lumpy. Yesterday felt very unwell - hot, shivery, achy etc. Presumed it was flu til it was too late to go to a doctor. I've been massaging the area and it feels a little better.

I don't feel too bad this morning. I'm wondering if it will go away without antibiotics? I really don't want abs because of the risk of thrush, but if I don't shift it completely now is it likely to recur?

Misspaella Tue 01-Sep-09 07:11:53

Hi there
I am no medical expert but I recently had the exact same thing. I fed and fed on the infected boob and massaged it loads. I took ibuprofen to help w/the inflammation (and flu symptons). I did this for 3 days and it went away itself. I did go to my GP for AB in case - you do need to be careful if the red lumps don't go away as you can get an abcess.

I now tend to massage both breasts when showering and if I even see a hint of a red patch I massage during a feed and take ibuprofen.

Good luck. smile

WhereTheWildThingsWere Tue 01-Sep-09 07:18:19

My sil had very bad mastitis, but hates abs so wouldn't take them and it cleared up.

However if you don't take them you must keep up the massage to clear the duct, start every feed on that side and if possible try and possition your babies chin close to the lump.

Just before you start to feed take a flannel dipped in water as hot as you can bear and place on boob over the lumpy bit, take care not to actually burn boob, keep re-dipping and replacing during feed, take care not to burn baby either.

I have the worlds most easily blocked ducts though I never got mastitis all the above is a faff but does really help.

Obviously if your symptoms get much worse or you develop a very high temp seek help immediately.

Good luck.

Picante Tue 01-Sep-09 07:25:26

Cool thanks. I will see the doctor today so that I've got the abs in case things get worse but looks like I might be ok without.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: