Talk

Advanced search

Return of period & still exclusivley BF........ is this normal?

(9 Posts)
LullyMummaOfOne Mon 31-Aug-09 21:06:17

Hi all, im currently exclusivley BF my 10 week old DS and today i have noticed some red/brownish discharge in the downstairs department. Could this be AF returning, if so could this also be a sign that my milk supply is drying out?

With my DS1 i didnt get a period until i stopped BF which was at 5 months so this is really new to me and now im slightly concerned it might be a sign that my milk is fading out. My DS is still feeding 2 hourly but goes 6-8 hours at night, is this normal or should i worry?

WelliesAndPyjamas Mon 31-Aug-09 21:15:13

No, don't worry. Apparently it can happen to a small percentage of women. I was very annoyed to find out that I was one of them this time! angrygrin I am exclusively BF DS2 and he feeds plenty so I was surprised to find my periods came back at 4 and a half months, and very heavily. And that was after 8 weeks of post-birth bleeding too. My milk didn't dry up. And I too had the discharge before AF. It was different with DS1, AF stayed away for much longer iirc.

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 31-Aug-09 21:37:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThePinkOne Mon 31-Aug-09 22:28:36

I got my period back after 10 months with DD and was still bf and thought that was fairly normal but I've recently spoken to 2 friends who both had thier period back 3 weeks after the baby was born - both ex bf shock

oopsacoconut Mon 31-Aug-09 22:30:33

Lully - my AF returned when my DD was 12weeks she was exclusively BF too and fed every 4 hours day and night.

ShowOfHands Mon 31-Aug-09 22:31:58

I was bfing every 2hrs day and night (she did go 3 hours once) and my periods returned at 14 weeks. Fed exclusively till 7 months and am still feeding at 2.3years. It just happens to some women.

I do have a slight dip in supply when my period's here but nothing that would concern me or affect dd. She just feeds more then.

MiaMamma Tue 01-Sep-09 09:34:51

Happened to me too - exclusively bf my dd until 7months but my periods returned already when she was only 6 weeks. I was very angry

LullyMummaOfOne Tue 01-Sep-09 10:29:45

Thanks Ladies this has made me feel much better. Defo think AF is here althoug its not much, i have very mild period pain too. Such a bummer, i was hoping not to have one fot 6 months, oh well i guess it shows everything is back to its normal working order.

Just out of intrest i guess this now means that my fertility is back to normal- looks like the rubber socks are coming out the draw now!! blush

MrsBadger Tue 01-Sep-09 10:41:15

hmm

I had similar light bleed at 8wks and then nothing for another 18m!
Don;t know what it was but it certainly wasn't a period

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now