Talk

Advanced search

Question from Dad

(15 Posts)
newbiedaddy Mon 31-Aug-09 14:37:06

My wife and I both think that what Mum eats might affect colic in our daughter, but my wife says that what I eat will also affect the bab's colic. She says just having it in the kitchen is enough as baby will smell it on me and get wind. She has banned me from eating onions, garlic, curry etc
I don't think she's right but I can't find anywhere where it says I am. I'm sure I'm rightangryhmm

FlamingoBingo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:40:57

Hello

I have never, ever heard of this in my life. I have four children. I've never read any research, or even heard anyone say it before!

Some foods do seem to upset babies if mum is bfing and eats them, but there is no guarantee of what (if anything) will upset a baby). Keep a food diary if you're concerned.

thumbwitch Mon 31-Aug-09 14:41:41

I can't see how she is right unless your baby DD has extreme allergies to airborne particles of the foods in qu. Or unless your DD is spending too much time in contact with your sweat or saliva - both of which can excrete the olfactory components of onions, garlic, curry spices etc.

Perhaps your DW has gone off the smell instead, or perhaps because she has had to give them up she finds it really upsetting that you can still have them and she can't, and would appreciate a bit of moral support on the abstention?

Jennylee Mon 31-Aug-09 14:43:13

mmm i think you may be right, but maybe these things annoy her so you should never eat them....only kidding.

She is maybe tactfully telling you that you smell of garlic, onions, curry etc so is finding a really good reason to make you stop.

On a serious note have never heard it could affect baby in any way, smelling these foods.

FlamingoBingo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:43:24

Ignore him, he's a troll. He just asked on another thread if you can buy fake tan for newborns anywhere hmm

MrsMerryHenry Mon 31-Aug-09 14:43:29

Huh? Where did she get that from. Bizarre.

Some foods do irritate colic - ironically, fennel tea, which is usually recommended for bfing mothers with colicky babies, has a component in it which actually aggravates colic. I don't know which foods cause it - however many women never discover a food so don't rely on that as your only line of investigation.

So sorry you're having a stressful time with your baby, I hope the colic calms down soon.

reikizen Mon 31-Aug-09 14:44:29

Oh lord, how would that work! Babies do not, and I repeat do not, get wind or colic from pungent smells in the air. I think she is having you on...

FlamingoBingo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:45:13

I think he's having us on, reikizen!

reikizen Mon 31-Aug-09 14:48:39

Yes, have just seen the pale baby thread. Loser.

thumbwitch Mon 31-Aug-09 14:49:51

how annoying!
Foolish man/troll.

MrsMerryHenry Mon 31-Aug-09 14:51:44

Oh, what a dickhead. Sounds like a man with a deeply fulfilling life.

MrsEricBanaMT Mon 31-Aug-09 14:53:57

First off - don't get angry at her! Colic is hard. You are both tired, irritable and at your wits end trying to get some peace. It's easy to turn on each other rather then face the problem together.

I'm guessing she has very recently given birth too so will be a mass of hormones which are not always logical. It's a big change for you too but you are not under the same torrent of hormonal pressures.

You might be right - there is no evidence - but that doesn't mean you are right. The colic will only last a few weeks (though I know it seems forever, I've been there!) and giving up onions, garlic and curry for those few short weeks if it appeases your DW is a small price to pay, IMHO.

You can say, 'I don;t think there is evidence for this, but if it will make you happy then I will do it' , basoically, I will make this compromise for us, becasue I want us to work toghether to solve problems not turn against one another - your understanding and commitment at this time is crucial.

From your compromise ask her to try one for you - I heartily recommend Colief www.colief.com/. It worked the day we gave it to DS but ask to give it a day or two.

Working together is an essential lesson. Life throws harder lessons that this at couples and only the ones who work together stay together.

Jennylee Mon 31-Aug-09 14:55:22

you a troll?

Tidey Mon 31-Aug-09 14:59:45

Don't waste your time, people. Baby fake tan? Is that really the best you could come up with?

MrsEricBanaMT Tue 01-Sep-09 23:02:00

Aw, bloody hell. I was feeling all touchy feely too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now