Talk

Advanced search

trying to get newborn to take bottle aswell as breast

(7 Posts)
pud1 Mon 31-Aug-09 14:33:54

dd2 is 3 weeks and will not take a bottle of expressed milk. did not have this problem with dd1 she just took straight away. has any one got any tips. am using tt closer to nature bottles.

edam Mon 31-Aug-09 14:35:06

dh wrapped a bottle in a bra that I'd worn. Ds suddenly seemed to realise it was milk in there!

giraffesCanDanceInTheSunshine Mon 31-Aug-09 14:35:38

are you trying to give her it or someone else?

pud1 Mon 31-Aug-09 14:37:06

both myself and oh have tried. she doesnt get the sucking motion. she tries to press teat with lips like breast feeding

Meglet Mon 31-Aug-09 14:39:19

I had the same problem. DS would switch between breast and bottle quite happily whereas DD was a little pickle. Luckily she bf well without problems so I just kept trying bottles every so often and she eventually decided bottles weren't so bad at 4 months. We tried different bottles and other people trying to feed her but she wasn't having any of it. I found it really frustrating until she was willing to take a bottle and got quite miserable about it. I think it depends on the baby TBH.

meemarsgotabrandnewbump Mon 31-Aug-09 14:39:47

Some babies just don't like the feel/taste. I remember DS1 taking a dummy practically from birth and DS2 was never interested at all.

If it's very important to you for her to take the bottle then the only way is to keep offering her the bottle over the breast until she gets the idea.

However, you may find that she will lose interest in the breast, and if that concerns you then maybe its best to hold off for a few weeks.

mathanxiety Mon 31-Aug-09 19:12:51

Try different nipples for the bottle. I had to supplement with formula and tried latex and silicone, many different brands, over two days, before DD found a shape and texture she liked. Silicone might be preferable if there's any hint of latex allergy in the family. It was costly to buy so many different ones only to throw them out, but worth it in the end as she started to gain weight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now