Talk

Advanced search

Shivers and flu symptoms in the night, engorged boobs. Mastitis?

(9 Posts)
suwoo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:22:39

I woke up in the night feeling horrendous. Had flu like symptoms ie hot but shivering etc. Am also very engorged at night but this is every night as DS is sleeping well and not feeding much in the night. My boobs aren't hurting and I don't think I have any red patches or anything.

I am also really suffering with my c section wound, it is quite badly swollen and hurts more than in the first few days.

DS is 4 weeks and we are going from one BF issue to another sad.

Does it sound like mastitis?

LuluMaman Mon 31-Aug-09 14:24:09

there certainly could be an underlying infection, possibly mastitis which can carry flu like symptoms

dn't like the sound of your c.s wound either

i would be checked out urgently and get ABS if necessary but a swollen painful wound and flu like symptoms needs immediate attention

please call GP on call service or NHS direct

suwoo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:30:40

Its not the actual scar Lulu, that has healed beautifully. It is the tissue that is swollen, but I did have this with DS too. I am taking ibruprofen, can I wait until tomorrow to go the the doctors? Does the walk in centre give antibiotics?

LuluMaman Mon 31-Aug-09 15:07:05

swelling and pain underneath the healed wound at 4 weeks post op is not great. ibuprofen will reduce swelling but if there is an infection it needs ABS, a walk in centre / out of hours gp can prescribe Abs

i would go, esp as you have flu like symptoms too

WelliesAndPyjamas Mon 31-Aug-09 15:16:51

I had exactly the same (shivers etc) at about 2 weeks and suspected mastitis. It was awful so you have my sympathies. I took tons of hot showers and baths taking an ice cold flannel in with me to alternate hot and cold on the breast. It passed.

My c-sec scar seems to have followed a similar pattern and is still (26 wks on) painful to the touch. It looks well healed though so I'm not worried about it.

Worth dropping in to the doc's or calling your midwife (do you still have her tel number?) for advice just in case.

smallorange Mon 31-Aug-09 15:34:28

i had mastitis three times with dd3 ( and horrendous problems bf) get some abs, they made me feel better within hours.

also - it will pass. i had cracked nipples, mastitis, the lot. 6 weeks in it was muchm much better smile

sorry am typing while holding dd3!

smallorange Mon 31-Aug-09 15:38:35

would expressing help take off the extra milk - that made me feel better. could you phone the triage midwife at hosp? she/he could probably advise..

have had 3 sections and scar was never swollen - you need to see a gp.

suwoo Mon 31-Aug-09 15:54:03

Been to walk in centre. No mastitis thankfully, but yes my c section wound is infected which explains temp and flu like symptoms. On anti-biotics which hopefully should clear it up.

Thanks you lot smile

LuluMaman Tue 01-Sep-09 08:16:13

you should start feeling better v v soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now