Talk

Advanced search

Do you manage successful breastfeeding in a ringsling?

(5 Posts)
justlookatthatbooty Mon 31-Aug-09 14:05:05

I'm hoping to use the sling i've just ordered to breastfeed newborn DD whilst working, being in the house whilst looking after DS 18 months. Went to a breastfeeding advice centre and the lady in shop, who is a lactation consultation told me it's IMPOSSIBLE to feed successfully in a sling, that she will only snack and so on. Decided to ignore advice and try anyway but curious to hear your success stories, or otherwise. Many thanks

FlamingoBingo Mon 31-Aug-09 14:57:41

Eh? Snacking is ok to do! Which shop was it, out of interest?

It's perfectly natural for babies to snack in a sling all day long and in bed all night long - how does that LC think babies were brought up before the advent of routines etc.?

Having said that, I've never found it comfortable enough to keep a baby in a sling all day - I've put them down when they're happy to be down. And I've found newborns pretty tricky to feed in a ring-sling, but have managed it in a stretchy wraparound like a kari-me or hugabub. Ring slings I find are easier when they're a couple of months old onwards.

MrsBadger Mon 31-Aug-09 15:50:25

I had a pouch (baby position is similar to a ringsling but not adjustable) and agree dd couldn't get such a comfy latch as she could when not in the sling

but when we were put and about a snack was usually enough to put her to sleep / stop her screaming etc till I had time to sit down with her.

JackBauer Mon 31-Aug-09 16:11:16

I BF both DD1 and 2 in a ring sling, could never manage it in a pouch or mei tai or wrap for that matter as I needed the adjustability of the ring sling to do it!
Takes a bit of practise but it is possible and DD2 used to feed for a good long while in it as well.

Oblomov Mon 31-Aug-09 17:35:36

That is just not true. I bf in a ring sling. And I went to meet Cricri, my friend from Mn PN thread and she bf her dd in a sling aswell. I had a freedom ring sling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now