Talk

Advanced search

Can I have some breastfeeding advice please?

(12 Posts)
McSnail Sat 29-Aug-09 13:40:36

Hi there - recently gave birth. My milk's in, and when the latch is good my daughter is feeding well.
My question is, if she spits up after a feed, does this mean she's had enough and I shouldn't be giving her any more? She fed intermittently over a period of forty five minutes, then puked up some of it (while doing an enormous squirting poo at the same time - lovely!)

I'm so new to this - she's still a wee bit gurny even though she's just eaten...

Scorps Sat 29-Aug-09 13:41:39

It's normal for babies to spit up a bit after feeds, but go by what your baby wants, feed when ever she wants

McSnail Sat 29-Aug-09 14:34:42

Thanks - I offered her the other boob and she fed for a few minutes before dropping off - she's sleeping soundly now.

This breastfeeding lark is all trial and error, isn't it? Hoping it becomes more natural as time goes by...

thisisyesterday Sat 29-Aug-09 14:36:07

yep, just fed whenever she asks for it. it's fine if she possets a bit up between feeds most babies do from time to time.
if she's brought back a large amount then she may want another feed quite soon to replace it!

hairymelons Sun 30-Aug-09 09:32:30

It does get loads easier once you get to know each other.
Spitting up doesn't necessarily mean she's full, could just be a burp that brings milk back with it. She'll stop asking when she's had enough so just follow her cues.
Congratulations!

McSnail Sun 30-Aug-09 14:17:00

Thanks everyone. I have another question (sorry)

Today, she's been feeding pretty much non-stop with dozing in between since 11 am. It's now 2.15 and have just handed her to my partner for him to let her suck his finger for a while (I NEED to get up for a bit and do things - also my c-section wound feels like it's siezing up and I need to stand upright))

She's also really grumpy and crying a lot. Is this normal???? Surely she should have had enough milk by now?

tiktok Sun 30-Aug-09 14:27:27

McSnail - your baby may want to be close to you, and her wriggling and fussing can mean 'please let me stay close to you next to your familiar smell, voice and touch' as well as 'please feed me again'

McSnail Sun 30-Aug-09 14:32:00

Thanks tiktok - partner is giving her a cuddle and burping her just now but I'll probably give her another feed...

DrCosyTiger Sun 30-Aug-09 14:33:09

Hi McSnail, afraid to say that from my experience this cluster feeding is totally normal in the early days. As is the crying. I have to say I found feeding even more usually stopped the grumpiness. I think they do this to stimulate your supply. And they also like the comfort of being on the breast. Best thing to do is to accept it, get as comfortable as you can, watch TV or Dvd, have your DP bring you nice food and drink and let you take occasional break to relieve the discomfort. It won't last forever, although there probably will be a few phases like this as your LO has growth spurts. Hang on in there! x

sorky Sun 30-Aug-09 14:48:01

Mcsnail if you're feeling the need to potter about I can highly recommend getting a sling, so that baby can be close to you at the same time. My sling allows me to go about the house, whilst bf'ing the LO too. It's a god-send.

ps don't do too much you're recovering from major surgery.

Congratulations btw

hairymelons Sun 30-Aug-09 18:01:16

sorky says true, slings are fab. Especially when DP is carrying DD round in it whilst you doze!
However much she feeds, even if you think she can't possibly want more milk, is totally normal. Tiring, but normal. The best thing you can do is get lots of help from DP, friends and family so you can relax and get on with recovery/ feeding DD.
All the best

McSnail Mon 31-Aug-09 13:45:41

Thanks. So glad mumsnet exists...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now