Talk

Advanced search

7mo has refused to bf since 6am - worry?

(12 Posts)
stirlingstar Thu 27-Aug-09 21:30:57

My 7mo DS2 is established on solids but to date stayed keen on breastmilk too - day feeds probably been dropping in volume but not number.

But today he has refused all mikl since 6.30am ish feed. He has eaten solids well and had a few sips of water at mealtimes. He has missed usual feeds at mid morning, late afternoon and bedtime. Also offered second chances at lunchtime and 20.30, but not interested. He's seemed happy enough all day - playing fine, slept normally (maybe bit less than average)

Should I be concerned?

(my breasts like footballs too...)

or should I just chill out? Seems a bit of a dramatic change.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 27-Aug-09 21:35:34

Could he be teething?

nursing strikes aren't unusual and usually sort themselves out.

My DS2 did something similar a few weeks ago when we were on holiday; I think there was just too much going on and he didn't want to be taking time out of his busy day to have a feed. He was still feeding well through the night though. He got back to normal after a couple of days smile

there is some information on kellymom on reasons for and managing a nursing strike to keep your supply maintained.

snickersnack Thu 27-Aug-09 21:41:02

dd did this at around that age. She was barely started on solids, and refused water, so it was a bit stressful. It lasted about 24 hours but it felt like a lifetime.

Express lots, offer him lots of opportunities to feed - in the end, we both got naked and went to bed together, with lots of skin to skin contact, and half way through the night she just rolled over and started feeding.

stirlingstar Thu 27-Aug-09 21:41:44

Thanks - am reading kellym now. Not obviously teething but has no teeth yet so possibly.

stirlingstar Thu 27-Aug-09 21:47:45

Aaagh. We're 3 hrs down the m6 on way to my parents for the weekend and no breast pump packed. Hope he comes round overnight.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 27-Aug-09 21:49:52

Ah yes snickersnack a wee babymoon can often sort these things out nicely and I used to retire to bed or bath with DD whenever she had any feeding issues......

Alas no such luxury for me and DS2 with DD to look after as well!

Bumpinthenight Thu 27-Aug-09 21:49:55

You could try dreamfeeding him to deflate the footballs!! He might take some mile if he is sleepy and has no distractions.

Bumpinthenight Thu 27-Aug-09 21:50:31

milk even!

LackaDAISYcal Thu 27-Aug-09 21:51:20

you can always try a dream feed with him? He may be more willing to take the boob when he is half asleep?

And you can always hand express, even if it's just to alleviate your discomfort.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 27-Aug-09 21:51:52

cross posts bumpinthenight smile

stirlingstar Thu 27-Aug-09 21:56:25

Have to confess have already done a quick hand express in service station toilets. With 2yo looking on 'ooo mummy what dat?'. Another glam motherhood moment!

alex7715 Sun 30-Aug-09 21:16:03

hope sorted it out xxxx and is now feeding well again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now