Talk

Advanced search

When does cluster feeding stop?

(10 Posts)
octopusinabox Thu 27-Aug-09 18:45:49

My baby is now 7 months old coming up to 8 and is still cluster feeding all evening. Is this still normal? I'm just about coping ok with it all but would love to be able to have an evening without feeding all the time and would like to have an idea when I can look forward to this.

octopusinabox Fri 28-Aug-09 14:51:28

anyone?

Longtalljosie Sat 29-Aug-09 11:39:41

Bumping for you

sarahmk Sat 29-Aug-09 17:49:01

My 2 both stopped at around 4 mths. At 7 mths babies are fully on solids and should be able to go through the night. Would think it has become a habit rather than a necessity (albeit a very lovely one for your baby). Would seriously look at trying to get him/her to sleep at around 7pm. I had to use controlled crying on my son at 7 mths cos he kept getting me up in the night (and sometimes evening) to get himself back off to sleep. Broke my heart listening to him (would check him every 5-10 mins) but boy did it work a treat. He cried for 40 mins first night, 20 the next and not at all on the third. And slept through from second night. Set up a bedtime routine if you haven't already - bath, bf, bed awake and see how you get on. If he/she can't fall asleep alone you might have to give controlled crying a go. My son was no worse for wear and will have to do the same for my daughter in a few weeks. She is 6 mths and just starting solids. Do it - you won't look back.

octopusinabox Sun 30-Aug-09 19:04:34

Thanks sarahmk.
I don't really want to go down the controlled crying route if I can help it - we're currently co sleeping which is working ok so far, it's just the evenings which are getting really tiring so wanted to see how long this is likely to go on for. I think if you have some sort of idea it can be helpful to keep thinking that it's not going to last much longer (assuming the average time isn't 2 years or something!)

alex7715 Sun 30-Aug-09 19:12:07

me to ocopusinabox me and my ds cosleep and similar situation but hey enjoy it now there only babys a little while xxxx

alex7715 Sun 30-Aug-09 19:13:40

octopusinabox sorry spelt it wrong xxxx

bunnybunyip Mon 31-Aug-09 20:14:05

My DS seems to have stopped in the last week or so. He is nearly 6 months. Just happened naturally, instead of crying all evening unless clamped to the breast he became happier especially when distracted by bath, massage etc.
We just got him to be before 8pm for the first time ever (usually has been about 9-9.30). Cross fingers he stays there!

hackedoffandcross Mon 31-Aug-09 22:01:11

DS is 8 months and now settles at about 9pm, (has usually had a little feed around 7ish) has another feed about 10 ish then a dream feed 11/11.30ish usually. Still feeds in the night though, but he isn't doing the cluster feeding anymore, just adjusted on his own as I am too lazy to try to put him in a routinegrin

Stereophonic Tue 01-Sep-09 13:45:59

sarahmk - I don't agree that babies of 7 months should be able to go through the night. Certainly some do and can, but babies up to a year old may need a night feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now