Talk

Advanced search

how much formula should a 4 month old have?

(3 Posts)
littleM Thu 27-Aug-09 12:27:20

DS1 was exclusively breast fed for 3 months and dropped from 50th to 2nd percentile. I have spent the last month replacing feeds with formula and he is now exclusively formula apart from occasional bf in the night if he wakes. The packet says 5 x 7oz which I appreciate is only a guide but he usually only has 4oz, sometimes as little as 2oz at late night feed - I don't think I have ever got him to take more than 5oz.

Does anyone think I shoudl be worried that he doesn't seem very hungry or am I just being neurotic?

MrsBadger Thu 27-Aug-09 13:00:36

as much as he wants! The best thing to do is respond to his cues.

Remember he may not magically put on weight just because you've stopped bfing - he might just be a naturally small baby born unusually big (iyswim) and is 'catching down' to his stable weight, just like some babies 'catch up'.

SatHereSitting Thu 27-Aug-09 17:01:04

I really wouldn't worry what the box says, my DS is a big baby (17lb 8oz at 15 weeks) and he still only has 4 to 5oz each feed and has done for ages, just go with what your DS wants, as my ds is still putting on loads of weight despite only drinking half the recommended amount for his weight smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now