Talk

Advanced search

Help! 2 wk old BF baby fed for 12 hours solid yesterday!! Advice needed.......

(11 Posts)
HeinzSight Thu 27-Aug-09 10:15:55

She started feeding at 3pm yesterday and didn't want to stop until I took her out for a drive at 3am.

She kept on bobbing her head about on the breast, latching on, then pulling off onto the end. She wouldn't settle down to feed with me lying down either, she kept latching on then coming off upset. But when I sat up with her she'd feed for 5 mins then fall asleep. As soon as I put her down she'd scream

HELP!!!!!!!!

HeinzSight Thu 27-Aug-09 10:33:06

bump

AstronomyDomine Thu 27-Aug-09 10:35:05

Sounds more of a comfort thing for your baby - perhaps she needs a dummy?? Sorry, I know a lot of people frown at this and I SWORE I'd never have one for DS but there came a point where it was either dummy or insanity. It worked a treat - he wasn't hungry just needed something to comfort him.

Skillbo Thu 27-Aug-09 11:13:52

Just to add and I have seen this solution on a lot of threads of this nature but try popping your little lady in a sling during the day as th emovement and closeness will probably sooth her.

Also, swaddle her when you've popping her down in her cot. My DD will not stay settled unless her arms and legs aren't able to flail around. I think it also makes them feel as though they are still being held which sounds like what your little one is after.

Hope this helps - the other thing is she may be going through a growth spurt and just snacking constantly (not much help but might explain her cluster feeding?)

Take care and, like always, she will get past this xx

FanjolinaJolie Thu 27-Aug-09 11:53:28

I remember having a period of 24 hours or so like this. I was on my knees so shattered and exhausted. It does sounds like she is looking for comfort as well as feeding. I was told by my midwife to let a feed take up to 45 mins and after that draw a line under it, wind, change nappy, try swaddling, rocking, in a sling, go for a walk etc do something else for an hour or so. To feel like you're having a bit of a break.

My dd's feeds used to go on for hours and hours, turned out she did have reflux and was not gaining weight in spite of the marathon feeding sessions.

Hope things improve for you soon.

FanjolinaJolie Thu 27-Aug-09 11:57:05

Just re-read your post again. The latching on and pulling off quickly has just rung a huge bell for me and is a sign of oral thrush.

Does she have any white patches inside her mouth or on her tongue? Oral thrush can make feeding very painful for them and I do remember a very painful feeling myself and she wrenched herself of the boob.

Worth asking your midwife for HV to look inside her mouth. Thrush can be treated but you will need the medication too to stop the cycle of infection.

HeinzSight Thu 27-Aug-09 15:11:20

That's interesting Fanjolina. One of my nipples has v deep cracks which don't seem to want to heal. Could that be a sign too?

HeinzSight Thu 27-Aug-09 16:01:33

bump

FanjolinaJolie Thu 27-Aug-09 16:47:49

Yes, oral thrush in the baby often begins with trauma to the nipples and then the infection is passed between mother and baby until either medication knocks it on the head or it goes away on its own (I've been told this is possible)

I did have a very useful checklist of symptoms of thrush in the breastfeeding mother/baby but unfortunately I gave it away to a friend. You could try googling?

My symptoms both times were shooting pains from deep in the breast, it's hard to describe but they felt like 'laser beams' if that makes sense - ie not throbbing/aching, a very fine and precise feeling that wasn't overly painful but annoying. Baby's symptoms are easier to spot as white patches on tongue and inside of mouth.

I would definitely seek help if the feeds don't start to settle down and also if your nipples are still damaged. Without meaning to patronise you the latch is the most important thing and will (in time) allow your nipples to heal and also for your dd to get a full and satisfying feed.

Do you have a breastfeeding clinic nearby?

FanjolinaJolie Thu 27-Aug-09 16:51:23

Thrush Symptoms

Thrush is a fungal infection (candida albicans) which thrives on broken skin and in warm, moist conditions. It can be passed between mother and baby, and can often be triggered by antibiotic use in mother or baby. It can also occur after damage to the nipple.

You may have thrush if you experience:

a sudden start of breast and/or nipple pain after days or weeks of pain-free breastfeeding – the nipple may also be itchy or super-sensitive
shooting pains in the breast after feeding
cracked nipples which don’t heal
nipples which are unusually red or pale, shiny or flaky in appearance
pain in both breasts (except in the very early stages) because the baby transfers the infection
Your baby may:

have a white coating on his tongue, gums, and inner cheeks which doesn’t rub off
seem unhappy or uncomfortable feeding (this may be because the baby’s mouth is sore)
have more wind than usual and be difficult to settle
have nappy rash which is difficult to heal
Either mother or baby may have thrush without showing any symptoms; however, both will always need to be treated to solve the problem.

logrrl Thu 27-Aug-09 19:48:38

The bobbing I think could be baby trying to find a good latch? DS did this a lot; sometimes I found it amusing, sometimes annoying, sometimes worrying, but someone on here suggested this reason and that made the most sense to me (after it had stopped of course!!). It stopped when DS was about six weeks, when we were both more skilled at the whole BF malarkey (not that I'm implying that you are not). Can't comment on the thrush theory-we've never had it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now