Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Big breastfed baby- everyone thinks he's on formular!

(9 Posts)
LullyMummaOfOne Wed 26-Aug-09 14:51:43

Hi, my DS2 is 9 weeks and weighed in at 14ln 9.5oz yesterday. Everyone assumes im bottle feeding as he is gaining so much and to be honest im starting to wonder if he is too big. He was born at 7lb 5oz and has gain each weeks since, he is now on the 91st centile. Is this normal? even my health visitor said it not normally seem for a breastfed baby, should i be worried and can you over feed a BF baby??

Advice welcome

belgo Wed 26-Aug-09 14:54:08

Don't worry, it's normal, I know a couple of very big exclusively bf babies who were 7/8kg at three months, and who have grown up very tall and slimmed down.

Don't worry, you can't overfeed a bf babysmile

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 14:54:11

are you and dh tall/strapping?

you can't really overfeed a bf baby

if you are worried stop taking him to be weighed wink

NB remember it may all come off when he starts crawling, so do not be surprised if he levels out at the 75th or wherever he was born at

LullyMummaOfOne Wed 26-Aug-09 14:58:02

My DH is 6ft and im 5.4ft so adverage really, my DS1 was a slow weight gainer and didnt weigh this much until he was 17 weeks. I guess every baby is different, i like taking him to get weighed as its very rewarding knowing that he's doing well. Maybe i'll take him everyother week instead of each week.

MrsBadger Wed 26-Aug-09 15:07:15

you don't have to take him at all if you don;t want you

if he's ill go to the GP, if he's not go out for a coffee instead smile

TigerFeet Wed 26-Aug-09 15:12:45

DD (exc. bf until about 5-6 months old) followed exactly the same pattern, she was 7lb 12 at birth but quickly rocketed up the centiles to hover between the 91st and 97th until she started walking. She was a really bonny, chubby baby with gorgeous folds in her thighs and rosy round cheeks. She's now a skinny 5yo, not especially tall for her age, just average really.

I was lucky in that my HV only ever commented on how well she was doing.

Keep going as you are, you're doing everything right

AnathemaDevice Wed 26-Aug-09 18:17:03

My DS is 21 weeks, EBF and has been on the 91st centile more or less constantly since birth. He weighed 9lbs 1oz at birth and only lost 3oz in the first couple of weeks. My HV is amazed (and pleased) that I'm still feeding him, and says to carry on doing what I'm doing, because I'm obviously doing something right!
I take pride in the fact that I've manage to produce and sustain such a lovely, big, healthy baby smile

JimmyMcNulty Wed 26-Aug-09 19:15:15

Ds2 is fully bf, 4 weeks old and was born 8 lb 6 oz and after gaining a liitle in the first week has put on around a pound each of the last 3 weeks. His line on the centile chart looks practically vertical! My HV (the good one - there's also a terrible one whom I avoid) didn't bat an eyelid though, just said bf babies sometimes gain massively at first then tail off. He is feeding ALL the time - however so did ds1 and he was born 6 lb 13 oz and has been very slim ever since (now 3 yo and no trousers stay up). Don't worry.

YouLukaPrettyAmazing Wed 26-Aug-09 19:17:07

Congratulations smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now