Talk

Advanced search

Please help

(7 Posts)
chloebe Wed 26-Aug-09 07:58:47

my dd2 has started waking again in the night- twice last night for 13 oz after having 8 in the day. She is 14 weeks and the hv has said to wean her in a couple of weeks which I don't feel confident about. Anyway dd2 was sleeping through from 8 weeks until now 8pm- 7am.

Should I try a dream feed- how do you do it Because she is dead to the world when we go to bed?

Please help as I don't know what to do?

chloebe Wed 26-Aug-09 08:00:55

sorry I meant 28 oz in the day! I need sleep!!!

belgo Wed 26-Aug-09 08:03:07

I personally wouldn't do the dream feed, this would only break up her natural sleeping pattern which could lead to further problems.

I would just feed her when she awakes, she is probably just going through a growth spurt and needing extra milk. If she's slept well before, then it's likely she will start sleeping better again, when she's ready.

pippel Wed 26-Aug-09 08:07:33

which milk is she on? could you move her on to the hungry baby milk to try and hold off from weaning for a couple of weeks thats what my hv advised me to do 14 weeks is very little for weaning.

To dream feed you just pick them up with out waking them pop the bottle in and then put them back when they are finished. Theres no way I can do that with my dd she clamps her mouth shut!

chloebe Wed 26-Aug-09 08:08:45

thanks belgo- what do you think about the weaning, I don't think I am going to do it, obv my mom and mil are like 'do it do it' but she is not a big baby only 13lb at 14 weeks so I don't really want to start messing her about plus she has to be on comfort milk as she had a reaction to other milks.

I think the dream feed will disrupt things, just waking twice in the night feels like a massive step back and with a 19 month toddler my patience levels are waining!

chloebe Wed 26-Aug-09 08:11:30

pippel I tahnk you- my dd2 is on aptimil comfort as she was constipated on all the other milks which used to distress her greatly. I don't think they do the hungrier baby in a comfort type and I am reluctant to go back to daily 2hr poo massages!!!!!!

I doubt she will take to a dream feed as she is a mouth clamper.

Its just so hard to understand as my dd1 slep thro from 9 weeks and she was breastfed until she was 7 months and not weaned until 6 months.

belgo Wed 26-Aug-09 08:12:32

I think you are right to follow your own instincts regarding weaning - she's not a big baby, she needs all of her calories from milk at the moment.

Early weaning can lead to constipation or encourage the development of allergies.

I weaned mine at five months, but wish I had waited until six months. Weaning is such a hassle, and so messy, and there is no benefit before six months anyway. And it didn't help any of my children to sleep through.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now