Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone else has this when they stopped Breast Feeding?

(11 Posts)
fannybanjo Tue 25-Aug-09 19:52:10

I stopped BF DD3 last Thursday and to say I have been uncomfortable has been an understatement. I was terribly engorged for a couple of days and then it started to pilfer off.

Today, my right breast has gone quite sore and it seems fuller (and very tingly) than it was yesterday. Why would this happen if am not BF or expressing? Could it be mastitis?

daisyj Tue 25-Aug-09 19:58:23

I think you'd know if it was full-blown mastitis (fever, shaking, absolute agony, or so I gather). Could be a blocked duct, though, which can lead to mastitis. Did you stop all at once or gradually, feed by feed? I've just started to introduce formula feeds, one feed per week or so. I'm taking it slowly as I tend to get blocked ducts, which make the breast feel fuller and can be quite painful, as well as the tingly feeling you mention. I find that using heated gel pads and doing gentle massage works, as well as massage in a hot shower/bath.

fannybanjo Tue 25-Aug-09 20:40:02

Thanks daisyj, I think you are right, it does sound like a blocked duct. I will have a look into what I can do. I introduced a bottle around a month ago and like you, dropped feed by feed BUT DD3 decided to start waking 6 times a night and that is one of the reasons I stopped, she was using me as a dummy. That is probably why I am so engorged as she fed more at night than as a newborn and has re-established my milk.

Fingers crossed I will be back to normal soon.

Do miss breast feeding her though. Feel very sad as she is my last baby. sad

daisyj Tue 25-Aug-09 20:58:10

Good luck. It's hard, I know. I had to get DH to do the first formula feed, as I felt really sad to be moving on. 6 times a night is definitely hard labour, though!

PacificDogwood Tue 25-Aug-09 21:01:21

Could you not let DD do the occasional mini-feed just for decompression purposes? This worked really well for me and DS3 who admittedly at that point was only feeding 2-3x/24 hrs.
It did not seem to confuse him at all that I offered him the boob at random times. It took about 2 weeks for all to be settled. He was 13 months at that point, BTW.

fannybanjo Tue 25-Aug-09 21:10:39

daisy, DH had to do all the formula feeds at the start, she wouldn't take more than a couple of ounces from me and even now, she won't take it from me if I cradle her in my arms, she has to be lying in her cot or sitting up! DD2 was exactly the same. Obviously with breast feeding her for 6 months, she associates being cradled with feeding from me and won't accept a bottle that way. It is sad to not be still BF and I had hoped to carry on for at least another couple of months but it as getting beyond the joke the amount of feeds she was having. I also have 2 other children to see to (DD2 is only 23 months) and it wasn't fair to them. I am pleased I managed to carry on until nearly 7 months though.

Pacific, I had thought of doing that but DD3 is an all or nothing feeder, she was obsessed with the boob so I would be too concerned as to confusing her. Also the sleep deprivation was so bad that I was in tears daily and in the end, it was in all our best interests to just stop feeding all together. I suppose I will just have to grin and bear the pain.

Thanks for all your help.

ThingOne Tue 25-Aug-09 21:17:55

I had to stop breastfeeding in a hurry, although later on so boobs were more "normal" by that stage.

I drank a lot of sage tea. I got a mix from Neal's Yard made with peppermint to cool the boobs and some other things to make it taste better. I'm sure fresh sage mashed in boiling water would be a good start if that's all you have available.

PacificDogwood Tue 25-Aug-09 21:25:43

Ah, see your problem.

Right, blocked ducts: massage the breast, ideally from the offending area to the nipple, moist heat ie under the shower or warm damp flannel help. Hand express a tiny amount, just enough to give yourself some relief, not enough to stimulate breast into more production. Use cold back/cabbage leaf from fridge after expressing. Wear firm but well fitting bra.
Give it time, sorry, there is that as well.

I hope it settles quickly for you and that your DD settles too.

fannybanjo Tue 25-Aug-09 21:56:50

ThingONe, that's a good tip, I will get some sage tea if I can find it tomorrow.

Pacfic, thanks for the advice - I have just used a warm flannel, it did relieve it for a moment - until DD1 started shouting me from upstairs telling me her head hurts which woke DD2 up and she had done a poo! Oh the joys of motherhood, I can't even relieve a blocked milk duct! wink To be honest DD3 is a lot easier for not being breastfed, she is sleeping through virtually and is a lot happier, it makes me wonder whether my milk was not filling her up, I have never believed that would happen but it is strange the way being solely on formula has settled her. She used to cry a good portion of the day and that has virtually diminished. DD1's behaviour has also tremendously improved because she now has her Mummy back and not the tired grumpy stressed Mummy who had to sit and feed her little sister all day! As much as I am a huge pro-breast feeder, sometimes when the time has come to give up, you have to accept it and realise that it won't harm them to give them formula and in some cases, it actually makes things happier.

PacificDogwood Tue 25-Aug-09 22:07:05

It won't have been your milk that made her unsettled, don't ever think that!
It is more likely that she had developed a strong association between feeding/boob and sleep/soothing. And that association has now been interrupted and she'll become better at self-soothing.

Night-night!

fannybanjo Tue 25-Aug-09 22:08:49

I am glad you have said that re my milk as I was worried I was starving her! I agree re self-soothing, she doesn't have a dummy and used me as one. Now, I can put her down in her cot wide awake and she goes straight asleep! Miracle!

Night!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now