Talk

Advanced search

Huuuge appetite and weight gain in MOTHER

(11 Posts)
christiana Tue 25-Aug-09 16:51:05

Message withdrawn

oranges Tue 25-Aug-09 16:53:04

Your tummy is caused by the c-section so please don't worry abotu that. I remember that ravenous hunger too. What are you eating? I found it helped to eat protein - chicken, hoummous, more than carbs. It filled me up and caused less blaoting somehow.

christiana Tue 25-Aug-09 16:59:46

Message withdrawn

oranges Tue 25-Aug-09 17:14:18

I'd just eat, to be honest, and worry about it later. But, otherwise, maybe try getting out of the house more and away from the fridge? The walking may help you regulate your appetite too. And make sure you drink lots.

Skillbo Thu 27-Aug-09 11:29:26

I soooo feel your pain - I am just unable to feel full. This is my first lo and I cannot get over how much I just want to eat, eat, eat...

I haven't gone near the scales since DD arrived but I know that I am not slimming down. I am making a point of getting out at least once a day and we walk everywhere as we don't have a car so hope this is offsetting the constant eating.

I know I'm not much help but just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for you posting this so I know I am not the only lady with a bottomless pit for a tummy!

midnightexpress Thu 27-Aug-09 11:39:01

Also, make sure you're drinking enough. It may be that you're needing liquids. Water will also fill you up a bit so might take the edge of the cravings a bit.

I remember getting through about 2 litres of water a night when I was bfing ds2.

hobbgoblin Thu 27-Aug-09 11:48:50

Christiana, I was on the July thread with you but ended up having my DD very late so she is only 5 weeks old (tomorrow). She is gaining weight VERY well but I weighed myself on Friday and discovered I had gained about 3lbs despite an initial steady post-birth weight loss.

The reason I checked so diligently this time is because, too late, with DC3 I realised that I had got heavier than I was in pregnancy and had actually got quite chubby merrily thinking I could get away with gorging self.

Anyway, I am trying to remedy this swiftly so spent weekend walking and avoiding the cupboards. I also drank lots of hot drinks (more filling) as well as cold and this helped. My Tuesday morning weigh in saw me having lost a few lbs again so am about post delivery weight again now and hope o continue the downward trend.

For me the reasons are it being the holidays and so close and regular proximity to fridge/cafes/cake at friends' houses plus hormone induced cravings for things I don't normally like or eat such as biscuits and very sweet things. I have a cupboard full of Mr Kipling cakes blush which is unheard of since I was a teenager having bad crampy and heavy periods!

thaliablogs Fri 28-Aug-09 23:04:10

Me too. I take domperidone for supply issues which I think makes it worse as stomach empties faster. Only remedy I guess is to up the exercise (hard with a baby permanently attached to boob), and try to snack on less calorific stuff (hard when no time to make healthy snacks). I second the water/tea advice, other than that no bright ideas. Hang in there.

thelollipoplady Fri 04-Sep-09 10:11:12

Me too Christiana! So ravenously hungry all the time...

Starting to get panicky now as still in my maternity wear and my summer dresses are getting a bit chilly!!

Comiserations - it's not just you...

mathanxiety Fri 04-Sep-09 19:23:23

When you're not getting a nice night's sleep you crave food, especially carbs -- assuming you're up in the night quite a bit? Can you get out on a walk for about half an hour every day? As long as you're not eating bags and bags of crisps you'll be fine. You're feeding the LO too, after all. Protein and lots of liquids will help you recover physically from pregnancy and keep you strong. If it's still a problem in a few months, have your thyroid investigated.

MummaHG Fri 04-Sep-09 20:24:16

I am so glad i have come across this thread, i thought it was only me who cant stop eating. I too have put on weight since birth almost 11 weeks ago, i am also breastfeeding on demand and despite also having a 3 year old to run around after i always seem to be in the fridge seeing what i can eat. The hunger i feel is nothing like i have felt before and to be honest i never really get the feeling of being full! My HV said its normal but to try and stick to 3 health meals a day and lots of snacks like yoghurts & fruit. I have tried but still seem to be so hungry!

I tried to start a low calarie & Low fat diet a couple of weeks aga but after 2 days i kept getting really light headed and felt very wobberly on my feet so have now gone back to eating what my body tells me too, and its not always healthy. My DS1 is starting nursery next week so i do plan on doing alot of walking and trying to get into a good routine so fingers crossed!

Im glad i have found someother yummy mummys in the same boat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now