Talk

Advanced search

want to start expressing not sure how !

(6 Posts)
stilldazed Tue 25-Aug-09 07:54:52

I've been exclusively breast feeding for 3 months and I'm desperate for a night off!

I've got an electric breast pump but never used it. Would I be able to pump enough between now and friday to have the night off?

How does it work do...I pump a bit at each feed and combine it to have enough for one feed? (wouldn't the milk I expressed on monday have gone off?)How much is one feed? I never know how much she takes..

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but I really don't know how it works and I want to start expressing as I know if I do I'll BF for much longer.

Thanks!

hairymelons Tue 25-Aug-09 08:25:29

I started by expressing after each feed, as it builds your supply up you may find you've got more to 'spare' in a couple of days.
You can add it together over the course of a day then freeze it in a single batch in sterile bags or containers.
As for the quantity, DS would have no more than 4oz in a single feed at this age. If you have more feeds ready than you think you'll need it might set your mind at rest a bit.
I take it your LO hasn't had a bottle before? Might need a bit of encouragement with that. The things that helped us were dipping the bottle teat in EBM so DS knew what was in the bottle and me being nowhere in sight. DH holding a top I'd worn also seemed to help.
Have a fab night out!

hairymelons Tue 25-Aug-09 08:28:18

Sorry, meant to say the expressed milk will keep 48 hours in the fridge and a couple of months in the freezer.
Be ultra careful about hand washing/ sterilising though, it's gutting when it goes off!

feetheart Tue 25-Aug-09 08:37:30

Not sure about electric pumps but I found if I had the baby feeding from one side I could manually pump from the other and get lots - takes practice and coordination though, I was only able to pump from right side when the baby was on the other!

Also don't expect to get too much to start with, took me a while to get more than 1oz at a time - its yet another skill you have to master as a new Mum. Friday might be pushing it - sorry.

Enjoy your night out when you get it

stilldazed Tue 25-Aug-09 09:04:03

Thanks for the replys...

thanks hairymelons (love the name!)that's exactly what I was looking for.

Hand pumping sounds a bit too advanced for me at this stage!Going to start with the eletric pump on the next feed and see how it goes!

feetheart Tue 25-Aug-09 09:06:19

Good luck. Don't be too disappointed if you only get a dribble, it gets better/easier the more you do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now