Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Was this mastitis???

(15 Posts)
Jacksmama Mon 24-Aug-09 22:47:47

This is somewhat after the fact but I really am wondering.

Had "classic" mastitis last year when DS was 3 weeks old - flu-like aches all over body, hard red area on left breast, fever. Was prescribed antibiotics and bed rest and it resolved in a few days.

Last month, we went on a family holiday in MIL's camper. We left on a Saturday afternoon and I'd noticed earlier that day that my left breast was quite sore - it felt bruised, as if DS (then 17 months) had kicked me a few times. But there was no hardening and no red swollen area. The entire breast was quite soft but extremely painful even to light touch. Sunday, while driving down the coast to California, I felt like absolute crap - horrible flu-like body aches, my joints hurt, my head hurt, breast very very painful to light touch but still no red hard spots. Nursing was only painful in that DS burrows in and the pressure hurt, but carrying him on my left hip hurt because of the pressure of his body against my breast (and I am totally uncoordinated with carrying him on my right). I took some ibuprofen and paracetamol Sunday mid-day because I hurt so badly all over and it helped, it was absolute bliss to feel the body aches disappear. I don't know if I had a temperature as we didn't have a thermometer with us and were following the West Coast Heat Wave south so were sweating like pigs anyway.

I reluctantly decided that if things weren't better Monday we'd stop at a walk-in clinic to get antibiotics, but the body aches didn't come back and my breast, although still painful, wasn't as excruciating anymore.

Monday night when DS woke for his middl-of-the-night snack, I suddenly felt a very sharp pain towards the nipple as he was drawing the milk out. It was quite, quite painful, and happened again with his morning feed. After that, things improved hourly and by Tuesday my breast was only a little achy to touch and I think I had one more episode of that sharp lancing pain towards the nipple as DS was nursing.

So ---- was this mastitis?? Or what could it have been?

I thought it might have been either mastitis or a blocked duct but was confused by the fact that there was absolutely no hardening or redness or swelling - I palpated the entire breast a few times every day and although painful to touch, it remained soft all over.

????

Jacksmama Tue 25-Aug-09 05:40:15

? Anyone ?

tillyfernackerpants Tue 25-Aug-09 06:08:33

I would say it was mastitis or a blocked duct, I think the symptoms are quite similar. Have a look on this website, it has some quite good information about it

Jacksmama Tue 25-Aug-09 15:50:37

Hopefully I'm not being too silly really wanting to know what this was (since it resolved on its own) but I'm really puzzled. Blocked ducts don't come with body aches and fever - and I definitely had the former!! But no lumps or stringy milk. And yet, if it was mastitis, why was there no red swollen hard area? Most odd.

I'm hoping some of the breastfeeding experts might see this...

tillyfernackerpants Tue 25-Aug-09 16:35:29

bumping for you as I'm not really an expert. And its not silly to want to know, if you find out at least you'll be prepared if happens again!

Jacksmama Tue 25-Aug-09 17:19:52

Than you smile

Jacksmama Tue 25-Aug-09 18:12:52

THANK you, even blush

bedlambeast Wed 26-Aug-09 12:44:07

Message withdrawn

Jacksmama Wed 26-Aug-09 16:13:11

Huh. Ok. I guess I'll never know then which it was. [irritated science-type who likes precise answers emoticon]

BeingMother Thu 27-Aug-09 16:17:37

Jacksmama I am having the exact same symptoms! Started out yesterday with a bruised feeling in my left breast, tender to touch etc. Got progressively worse over a few hours, very sore and even the slightest touch was agony. Also got body aches like a flu, and had a very slight temperature. But no hard lumpy red bits. I called the doctor today and explained the symptoms and she said it is probably mastitis. I am on antibiotics anyway for a uterine infection (lucky me!) and she said those antibiotics should take care of the mastitis too.

HTH

Jacksmama Thu 27-Aug-09 16:21:09

Oh no - that's not nice for you!! Mastitis on top of a uterine infection, gah. How old is your baby? I hope you can rest a bit?
That does help, thank you. I was really just curious.
I found it really helped me to apply alternating ice and heat to my breast. Bit difficult while travelling in the camper, but it made it feel much better.

BeingMother Thu 27-Aug-09 17:27:45

I know. Bub is three weeks old tomorrow and very demanding. Can hardly leave him alone to go to the bathroom! And on top of all that DH went back to work yesterday. I'm trying to get as much rest as I can, will try your ice/heat tip. thanks!

Jacksmama Thu 27-Aug-09 18:07:20

I used to take DS to the toilet with me. If he was nursing he hated being detached. I got very good at lowering knickers (and not losing maternity pad), weeing, patting dry and pulling up knickers - all with one hand!!

Congratulations on your DS. Did everything go ok with his birth?

BeingMother Fri 28-Aug-09 13:13:26

thank you. The labour was long, about 30 hours in total, and ended in a caesarean because he was OP and would not turn around no matter what I did to try to help him.

wow that is some skill to do one handed!

Jacksmama Fri 28-Aug-09 16:33:40

Ugh. Sounds beautiful, just about like mine. 36 hours, ended in forceps because he was stuck (as they knew from the very first exam angry).

I do want to say there were several toilet-related mishaps at first grin - fortunately none of them involved bobbling the baby!

Are you feeling better today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now