Talk

Advanced search

BF baby gaining too much weight?

(6 Posts)
lastboxoftampons Mon 24-Aug-09 11:28:21

I'veead that you can't overfeed a bfing baby, but my little guy has put on nearly 3lbs in his 3.5 weeks of life. This sounds like a lot, especially when I was fully prepared for him to lose! Is it normal?

Thanks!

WoTmania Mon 24-Aug-09 12:08:36

I don't think you need to worry at 3 weeks. They don't always lose. I have a friend whose DS had put on 13oz at day 5.
In fact I'd say well done. You're abviously doing a fabby job

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Mon 24-Aug-09 12:10:37

You are obviously doing a great job well done.
Both of mine gained weight like that for the first while it did settle down though.
I used to get all the jokes about Jersey Gold top etc.
Neither of mine lost either they just gained and gained.

ilovemydogandmrobama Mon 24-Aug-09 12:11:51

Hi LastBox! Guess you had the little American grin

Fantastic that he's gaining! Some babies put on more weight than others, and all have different growth patterns.

Don't worry and just enjoy him....

DrCosyTiger Mon 24-Aug-09 12:14:21

Hi Lastbox,

My LO did this too, I couldn't believe it. She was small when she was born (just 6lb) but she never lost any of her birth weight and put on a lb per week for the first 4 weeks of her life purely on breast milk. At 5 months, she's now up in the top 2% of the growth chart (98th centile). It's unlikely there's anything wrong with your LO but I am not an expert so to put your mind at rest it might just be worth mentioning it to your HV. However, my DD was exactly the same and she's definitely healthy and happy!

hanaflowerhatestheDM Mon 24-Aug-09 12:24:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now