Talk

Advanced search

Can I take Piraton whilst breastfeeding?

(8 Posts)
HeinzSight Mon 24-Aug-09 11:11:36

been stung by a wasp on my little toe a few days ago and it's still swollen and now v itchy!!!!

ARGH!!!!

ActivityApple Mon 24-Aug-09 15:14:20

Message withdrawn

LittleMissBliss Mon 24-Aug-09 15:17:19

I took the stuff that makes you drowsy whilst bf, because i came out in an all over body rash a few days after delivering ds. Had to stop taking it in the end because i was really struggling to do night feeds, and felt like a zombie in the day.

LittleMissBliss Mon 24-Aug-09 15:17:59

oh and it was prescribed by a dr. Who knew i was bf.

whingingDailyHateMail Mon 24-Aug-09 15:28:08

this is handy

mawbroon Mon 24-Aug-09 16:38:31

How old is your baby?

The thing with piriton is that it can make the baby really sleepy, and for a young one, the possibility of missing a feed isn't good.

I took it once when ds was about 18 months and it knocked him out for about 5hrs. Not a prob for a strapping toddler, but potentially a prob for a younger baby.

Personally, I took Zirtec, but don't just take my word for it - check it out!

Grendle Mon 24-Aug-09 19:32:30

The link above is a useful one. Be careful about drowsiness (both you and baby) if you do take piriton. Co-sleeping isn't sensible after either of you have taken a sedating drug.

Hope it goes down soon.

warthog Mon 24-Aug-09 19:35:45

i took drowsy piriton as a sleeping tablet when about 7 / 8 months pregnant and while breastfeeding, but only after the evening feed. dd2 was old enough to sleep through til the morning so i don't think she got very much of it. didn't affect her poor sleeping anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now