Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

ds sraining on SMA can i just swap to another formula?

(15 Posts)
toria77 Sun 29-May-05 09:44:32

ds is now on more formula than bf and seems to strain a lot more- didnt poo all day yeterday and was very unconfortable- could this be sma? can i just swap over? lots of MN seem to like aptamil? any advice?

wheresmyfroggy Sun 29-May-05 09:46:33

we swapped round a bit with dd1 with the same prob and settled on farleys

toria77 Sun 29-May-05 09:48:31

ok thanks... will have to just try i guess- will end up with cupboard full of different brands!!

wheresmyfroggy Sun 29-May-05 09:49:58

Just like we did

toria77 Sun 29-May-05 17:38:40

Gobbledigook Sun 29-May-05 17:47:35

Had this problem with SMA too - cow and gate much better.

fruitful Mon 30-May-05 14:55:16

Yep, SMA seems to do that... You can just swap but it might take 3 days or so for him to settle into a new formula so give him a chance. Farleys is a bit cheaper but I found it went all frothy when I mixed it. Aptamil seemed easiest to mix but also most expensive. Nutritionally I don't think there is much to choose between them.

jessicasmummy Mon 30-May-05 14:58:19

Jessica was always fed on SMA Gold and although was sick, we put it down to the fact she was a sicky baby.

She is now on SMA Progress, and hey presto - no more sick!

When baby born in october, if bf doesnt work - again - i WONT be using sma gold. Will try any other brand but sma gold!

mckenzie Mon 30-May-05 15:08:21

same happened to us toria77 and changing to Aptamil did the trick. Dont buy it in Sainsbury. It's cheaper just about everywhere else.

toria77 Mon 30-May-05 21:51:15

good 2 know thanks

boobie Mon 30-May-05 22:04:45

Since starting mixed feeding my DD has been straining often and going less frequently but i find the Cow & Gate with prebiotics has made things easier, I think that Aptamil is prebiotic too and I think this helps digestion.

Distracted Mon 30-May-05 22:34:05

I started a thread on this some months back when I switched my ds from bf to formula and had same problem. My conclusion from advice I got was that aptimil seemed best.

However, I didn't swap in the end. HV said no reason why one formula should be any better than another, although agreed that sometimes aptimil seemed better. However, she said it was quite common when switching from bf to formula, so might be best not to swap brands straight away, to give a bit of time to settle first. If things don't settle after couple of weeks then try swapping (aptamil is quite a bit more expensive, which I suppose is the other reason why I thought I'd give SMA a decent trial first).

mears Mon 30-May-05 22:37:50

Is increasing breast not an option toria77?

hotmama1 Mon 30-May-05 22:55:54

If you are going to swap formulas I would recommend using Aptimil - most of my friends do - even those who mix bf and formula. The prebiotics do make the pooh runnier like bf poohs - IYSWIM - my dd never strains even when she started to be weaned - but you get to know the poohy face anyway

Chandra Mon 30-May-05 23:23:54

DS suffered a lot of constipation with Cow&Gate (and he started to have very dry skin once it was introduced), then we changed to Farley which was good but as every mother of an eczema baby we tried to find if it was the milk so tried soy milk as well (who no doctor recommended for long term use), and finally tried Aptamil. End of the story, his skin got slightly better but the constipation disapeared completely, and it didn't return until we introduced cows milk, so we went back to APtamil for soem extra months and now he is fine. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now