Talk

Advanced search

is normal to feel really upset about stopping bf?

(22 Posts)
toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:08:18

am in process of changing from bf to bottle in prep 4 going back work and getting really upset- silly....

Donbean Sat 28-May-05 22:10:26

no not silly at all, i felt the same,i was gutted.Its the end of something special between you and your baby.
Not silly at all hun x

franke Sat 28-May-05 22:11:26

Yes it's absolutely normal to feel miserable about stopping bf. You maybe feel quite sad about it but there is also a hormonal element to the sadness too. It will pass very quickly but I remember that sadness very well

hewlettsdaughter Sat 28-May-05 22:13:24

could you carry on bf in the mornings/evenings to ease the transition maybe?

hunkermunker Sat 28-May-05 22:14:01

Is it completely necessary that you have to stop feeding altogether? How old is your baby?

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:15:10

ah, thanks guys .. random crying and clingy mumness is normal, good!!! still sad though, get the feeling this is part of being a mum....

Flossam Sat 28-May-05 22:17:07

Toria, I'm going back to work quite soon and hope to continue mixed feeding as I am now, morning and evening BF. If I'm not able to feed I hope to express to keep it up. Might be the last thing I feel like doing after 12 and a half hour shift and 2 and a half hours travelling, but I will give it a go I hope.

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:18:05

well i am going back to work in july so i am gradually stopping day feeds- haven't stopped still will feed in morning and night for a while.. early days and still upset! will be rubbish when have to stop totally. thought about keeping night feed going but am i just prolonging agony? also boobs very over-productive so not sure that i would be able to night feed whilst working as will leak everywhere

hewlettsdaughter Sat 28-May-05 22:21:17

Personally, I've found working and still breastfeeding to be ok - your body adapts, I think. I fed ds for 3 months after going back to work, then things seemed to come to a natural end. Still feeding dd 7 months after going back to work.

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:25:16

thanks hewletts, it would be good if i could mix,but dont want to be someone who cant let go and who still breastfeeds their teenager!!!!!

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:26:07

because think i could be that clingy if i'm not careful!

hewlettsdaughter Sat 28-May-05 22:26:45

Nor me! I'm continuing partly because dd likes it and wasn't that into formula/isn't that into cow's milk.

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:27:06

no offence to long term bf mums though

hewlettsdaughter Sat 28-May-05 22:28:20

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:29:13

yeah, knowing when to do what and how is difficult, thats why mumsnet is great, thanks 4 advice, stopped blubbing now!!!

bossykate Sat 28-May-05 22:30:41

hello

i think the preparation for going back to work is miserable, stressful, emotional time. imo/e, it would be that way whether you were breast feeding or bottle feeding.

with my two, i have felt upset at the prospect of giving up b/f - tried mixed feeding but didn't really work out once back to work - but once over the initial "coming to terms with it" period, it was fine.

imo/e, if its just about b/f v. b/f (!), don't worry, you will probably adjust pretty quickly. if it's about going back to work in general, then i think that's a thornier issue....

good luck

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:36:13

hmm, think it's a bit of both issues! luckily going back for 2 weeks, then summer holidays before back full time so might be better by september, ..... altough probably not, but will be ok, everyone does it

JulieF Sat 28-May-05 22:36:21

I went back to work when ds was 7 months old. At first I expressed but after a month went onto morning and night feeds and it has worked out fine until now (he is 15 and a half months).

Its definately not silly to feel sad. Tonight I am feeling quite sad though at the thought of stopping. We had a lovely sleepy feed this evening but tomorrow morning will be our last as I go away at lunchtime for a week.

lucy5 Sat 28-May-05 22:40:21

I felt hearrtbroken when dd weaned herself at 17 months. My friend who is equally soppy and had been through it herself sent me a card with some lovely quotes and we sat and blubbed together. So have a blub and you'll feel a litle better.

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:40:29

ah, its amazing how much you can feel about things concerning ds/dd.
perhaps we should feel lucky to have had the experience - some mums go through far worse things i am sure , sill feels sad though

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:41:10

like the card idea

toria77 Sat 28-May-05 22:45:48

thanks 4 all support, very helpful,on that note , off to feed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now