Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BF and Gastric Bug......my supply seems to have taken a nose dive and there is very little there :0(

(6 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Aug-09 18:49:38

I'm in Day 5 of a really nasty, suspected food poisoning bug, and am physically drained and struggling to stay hydrated.

DS2, 9.5months has been feeding as normal, 6am, quick drink at 9ish , 11ish, quick drink after lunch, 3ish and 7ish just before bed, although he hasn't woken in the night all week which is unusual for him.

today he has been wanting to feed constantly and getting really frustrated as there doesn't seem to be much there sad. My letdown, which is usually quite obvious hasn't felt nearly as painful as usual, and when it happens it's a good few minutes after he has started sucking where normally it's pretty instant.

Anyway, he had his dinner at 5.30 and wanted a feed straight after. After pummelling my boobs for ten minutes and breaking off and wailing and me swapping sides to the same effect, I have made up a 5oz bottle of formula and he wolfed it down. We have tried him with formula before and he normally refuses it completely.

So, I know all the stuff says that you need to be on the verge of starvation before the quality of your milk is affected, but what about the quantity? Would dehydration affect my supply? Or should baby take what he needs leaving my body even more dehydrated?

I'm happy to give him formula if he needs it, but how can I do this while I'm ill and still maintain my supply for when I'm better? I would keep feeding him myself, but there genuinely doesn't seem to be anything there and he was getting really upset.

Any advice greatfully received.

moondog Fri 21-Aug-09 18:58:24

I think you shoud just trust your body to know what it is doing.
You are usually very confident and knowledgeabel about breastfeeding.

He might just have taken the formula as I would have taken a Martini that dh suddenly produced for me out of the blue. In other words, surprised and thinking 'Ooh, what's this? I'll give it a go!'

Sorry you aren't well. Keep drinking.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Aug-09 19:03:03

lol moony at the martini grin

Thanks smile. I know I am usually confident, but this has thrown me a (big) bit, as he has never shown any sign that he wasn't getting enough and I'd hate to think that I was starving the wee mite. I suppose the fact that he has been sleeping through the night for the first time in his young life means that he must be OK?

I would babymoon, but nearly 10 mo. old babies aren't really up for lying in bed all day snoozing and feeding!

I'm also feeling really drained which doesn't help with the self belief sad

moondog Fri 21-Aug-09 19:06:18

I never seriously saw or felt anything very much in my norks for the 3 1/2 years I did it but I just kind of assumed it was there and it was.

Might be a bit of a nursing strike coinciding with illness and you have put 2 and 2 together and made 5? smile

RhinestoneCowgirl Fri 21-Aug-09 19:17:08

Maybe he's sickening for something himself and is feeding more frequently to up your supply? DS used to do this.

Sorry you're feeling rotten, look after yourself and keep those fluids up, I'm sure your DS will be fine. Agree with Moondog, trust your body

LackaDAISYcal Fri 21-Aug-09 19:19:58

maybe so.

My letdown is usually quite, not painful exactly but I can certainly feel it going on which is what made me wonder. He also seemd annoyed and wanting to feed, but then pulling off. He is possibly teething as well.

I'll carry on and feed as much as he wants and hopefully things will resolve themselves as I get better and he'll pick up again. I feel much more human this evening so am on the mend at last.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now