Talk

Advanced search

I've got D&V, am I ok to BF my DS still?

(9 Posts)
Miamla Fri 21-Aug-09 04:34:57

DS is 13mths and I'm really not very well. He's asleep at the moment and won't get any bm before 5am anyway even if he does wake up but am i ok to bf him?
thank you

Miamla Fri 21-Aug-09 04:59:44

i just remembered about the kellymom website and in case anyone else does a search in the future and finds this thread, info from there is....

If mom has food poisoning, breastfeeding should continue. As long as the symptoms are confined to the gastrointestinal tract (vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps), breastfeeding should continue without interruption as there is no risk to the baby. This is the case with most occurences of food poisoning. If the food poisoning progresses to septicemia, meaning the bacteria has passed into mom's bloodstream (mom would most likely be hospitalized), see this guidance from Dr. Ruth Lawrence:

"Maternal infections of the genitourinary or gastrointestinal tract do not pose a risk to infants except in the rare circumstances when septicemia occurs and bacteria might reach the milk. Even in this event, continued breastfeeding while the mother receives appropriate antibiotic therapy that is compatible with breastfeeding is the safest course for the infant. If the infecting organism is especially virulent or contagious (e.g., an invasive group A streptococcal infection causing severe disease in the mother), breastfeeding should continue after a temporary suspension during the first 24 hours of maternal therapy. Prophylactic or empiric therapy for the infant, against the same organism, may be indicated." [source: Lawrence RM & Lawrence RA. Given the Benefits of Breastfeeding, what Contraindications Exist?
Pediatric Clinics of North America 2001 (February);48(1): 235-51.]

here's the link

Hope you're feeling better soon. It's no fun at all BFing with D&V.

Babieseverywhere Fri 21-Aug-09 08:15:39

It will give him protection from the D&V illness if you continue to breastfeed him. So he is less likely to get it or get it to a lesser degree due to the antibodies in your milk.

Hope you start to feel better soon.

WidowWadman Fri 21-Aug-09 08:27:26

Just remember in which arm you have the puke bowl and in which the baby, Learned that one the hard way a week after giving birth.

BertieBotts Fri 21-Aug-09 08:39:10

Yes it's absolutely fine. Poor you though I had it last week - not fun but thankfully short-lived. If you have anyone who can take him out to the park for a couple of hours use it!!

If he comes down with it and seems to be in pain in his tummy, NHS Direct said that calpol would help (though not sure if it would work if he is vomiting)

bumpybecky Fri 21-Aug-09 08:43:47

yes keep feeding, but remember you need extra fluids as you're making milk as well as the D&V

supply might reduce but it will return if you keep feeding

hope you're feeling much better soon

Miamla Fri 21-Aug-09 12:07:49

thanks all
feeling drreadful, i convinced dp not to go to work, ds ill now as well

BertieBotts Fri 21-Aug-09 12:31:42

Glad you have someone to help - it's awful when you're both ill. Hope you feel better soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now