Talk

Advanced search

Foods to boost milk supply

(10 Posts)
vanimal Thu 20-Aug-09 21:55:56

I know if some women who drink fennel tea to help boost their milk supply..

Does anyone know of any other foods or drinks that are thought to help boost milk supply?

Just wondering (as I contemplate eating a bowl of cereal as dessert!)

Jackstini Thu 20-Aug-09 21:58:01

Fenugreek too I think.
Oats are supposed to work well, yep - get that muesli down you and start having flapjacks for a snack!
Mainly, just feed as often as possible - supply and demand and all that smile

babyOcho Thu 20-Aug-09 23:19:24

I used to drink fennel tea and take fenugreek tablets.

Porridge oats are supposed to be really good as well.

Kissmybooty Fri 21-Aug-09 23:17:02

You can check if you have an iron deficiency with your dr. I found this info for you:

Some Ideas for Healthful Eating From the low lactating Moms:
Bring your crock pot back into circulation and cook a bag of chicken breasts at once to eat all week long. Chicken, along with some spinach salad, cherry tomatoes and red wine/vinegar make a tasty and quick lunch. My favorite recipe is a salad, made with different types of lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, cucumbers and topped with a chicken breast and canned pears; garnish with slices of apple and sweet vidalia onion creamy salad dressing. One can vary the contents to suit individual tastes, but it is a quick and healthful lunch. The chicken breast is a good source of protein and the greens support lactation and are a good source of vitamins.

Oatmeal is another healthful and lactogenic food, and oats in any form can boost milk supply.

Here is a personal experience of a lactogenic diet. Experience and experiment will help you figure out what works best for you as you customize your own lactogenic meal plans.

•Eat oatmeal and oat products
•Drink barley-based drinks such as homemade barley water•Consume plenty of dark green vegetables
•Ensure adequate fluid intake each day (200+ ounces is helpful for some mothers).
•Drink lactogenic teas
•Eat plenty of protein and good fats

Hope it helps a little bit. I found a high protein high fat diet with plenty of fluids and lots of additional pumping helped. A bit difficult to pump and brestfeed but it's worth it. I managed to wean from 6-10 months after a slow start so definately worth the effort.

mathanxiety Sat 22-Aug-09 04:45:58

A lot of lean protein and veggies galore, plus whole grains, esp oatmeal, good fats, including eggs, good fluid intake. Avoid empty calories, sugary snacks.... The real trick is to make sure someone else is doing the cooking and letting you get plenty of rest. Psychologically, if you have someone helping you out who really values what you're doing and gives your morale a boost, this is a real help.

yelnats Sat 22-Aug-09 12:02:03

I didnt change my diet at all the whole time I was feeding - though I genereally eat quite healthily anyway. Only thing I would say is I ate loads and loads of Weetabix Oatibix bitesize and had no problems with supply whatsoever - probably due ot the amount of oats i was eating! lol

MrsBadger Sat 22-Aug-09 12:23:40

tbh feeding more often is likely to have better results than trying to increase supply by eating specific foods.

Good info from Kellymom here

mmrred Sat 22-Aug-09 12:33:07

Making sure you drink LOADS and get as much rest as you can - only thing that worked for me!

thatsnotmybelly Sat 22-Aug-09 12:38:21

Don't know if there's any science in it, but I swear by oats. Porridge and flapjacks!

Also much feeding, and drink lots of water.

TomThumbMum Sat 22-Aug-09 20:24:50

there's a recipe in the leon ingredients and recipes book for breastfeeding bread which uses fenugreek, aniseed and fennel. The bread is delicious, my husband made it for me, not sure whether this increased supply or because i started feeding more but never had an issue since. Totally recommend the bread and the book!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now