Talk

Advanced search

Anybody else BFing having to avoid certain foods as their baby has an allergic reaction ?

(3 Posts)
iwantitnow Thu 20-Aug-09 21:17:34

With my EBF DD she sometimes came out in hives from around 3 months, discovered at 7 months she had an egg allergy and that she was getting hives when I ate egg too. I BF her until she was nearly 2 and had to avoid egg during that period. DS now 5 months, he is having hives which seem to be triggered by me eating egg too. I am not looking forward to at least 7 months of an egg free diet - no cakes, having to ask everywhere what is in food. Anybody else in the same boat?

Its grim and I found it amazing that friends/relations just refused to accept that I couldn't eat egg especially once DD hit one and I no longer "needed" to breastfeed.

Alieight Thu 20-Aug-09 23:38:34

Ditto with the egg allergy. Couldn't work out for the life of us why DS had weird scaly rash - we assumed (and the doc told us) it was eczema. Only once we started weaning and he ate some scrambled egg and blew up like a bright red balloon did we realise he was allergic to eggs. So i cut out eggs from both our diets, and lo and behold the eczema vanished.

He's now nearly 13 months and I am heartily sick of not eating eggs. I find one of the main problems is picking up a sandwich on the go - it's so hard to reliably find something with no mayonnaise in it! And I miss cakes. And bacon and eggs. And smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. However, I'm hoping to let him self-wean, which he's showing no signs of doing yet, so I have a little longer to go.

Have to say, family and friends have mostly been pretty supportive (half the family isn't english and breastfeeding over a year is normal rather than weird), but they do forget and serve up yummy eggy things for me.

iwantitnow Fri 21-Aug-09 08:18:21

Oh yes alieight I forgot the prospect of the dry M&S sandwiches without mayonnaise... My DD did self wean at 23 months but I was pregnant which helped.

I found that once I was down to just one feed before bed that I could eat a bit of egg with no reaction.

Egg free cakes just don't taste the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now