Talk

Advanced search

Dark patches on nipples after using breast pump

(5 Posts)
dizzyme Thu 20-Aug-09 09:23:21

Hi

I have just used a Lactaline dual electric breast pump for the first time.

I pumped for around 5 minutes, and when I took the pump off noticed dark patches on both my nipples - almost looks like blood has come to the surface or something.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks

dizzyme Thu 20-Aug-09 21:12:47

Perhaps I had the suction on too strong and it bruised me....?

Chulita Thu 20-Aug-09 21:39:13

You might not have had the nipple in the right place. I use a manual but if I don't get the nipple in the middle-ish I end up with bruises. Probs the suction was too strong though, does it have a gentle option to start with?

Grumpla Sat 29-Aug-09 10:25:19

Hi Dizzyme, I use the lactaline as well and also get dark patches. They fade pretty quick so I assume it is just blood being pulled to the surface, you can try turning the suction down but to be honest I decided that being able to express quicker was worth the odd 'love bite' patch! It doesn't hurt.

I am feeding EBM full time having been unable to get a proper latch, so I spend about 3-4 hours in every 24 on the pump at the moment, have done for the last few months with no serious side effects.

LadyOfTheFlowers Sat 29-Aug-09 10:32:36

I had these using a Medela electric - think they are bruises? But if I didn't crank the suction up, it didn't work very well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now