Talk

Advanced search

help - blocked milk duct!

(5 Posts)
JoJoCY Thu 20-Aug-09 09:18:19

Hello,

My dd is 4 weeks and we've had a bit of a struggle getting bfeeding established. I have inverted nipples and so had problems with getting her latched on and suffered bleeding nips until last week. Just as I thought we had turned a corner I have got a blocked milk duct! I am trying to feed my dd on that breast every feed but I think it's effecting the milk flow as she keeps getting really frustrated and then falls asleep. I have also tried massaging but that doesn't seem to shift it either. Has anyone any wise words to help? I bfed my ds til he was two and don't remember any of these problems. Seems so so hard this time round - not made any easier by having to entertain my 3yo as well!

I think the blocked milk duct was caused by my dd not emptying the breast as she keeps falling asleep whilst feeding. She then wakes up when I take her off and so I'm basically feeding non-stop. Any advice about this would also be very welcome as coming very close to giving up on bfeeding this time round!

Thanks.

WelliesAndPyjamas Thu 20-Aug-09 09:21:14

take a hot shower but take in a very cold flannel with you (in a bowl of v ciold water) - alternate between hot water and cold flannel. You may need to have a few go's but it really helped me, along with the massaging. Good luck.

WelliesAndPyjamas Thu 20-Aug-09 09:25:43

sory, just took in your second question properly - was skim reading first time (BFing ds2 and talking with ds1 whilst MNetting! blush)

Not sure if that's what causes blocked duct tbh, it's more likely to be engorgement which is v normal in the first few weeks. It settles down with time.

nigglewiggle Thu 20-Aug-09 09:28:30

I rang a NCT counsellor when I had this problem and they were great - so that would be my first recommendation.

You might have to wait a while for them to call you back so in the meantime - try warm flannels on the breast and then express a little before you feed. If the blockage is making your breast engorged then it will be hard for her to latch which might be why she is getting frustrated. The NCT counsellor said that the baby is the best at clearing the blockage as their suction is stronger.

They also recommended cooling packs to relieve inflammation and ibuprofen for the same reason (speak to mw or GP before taking those though).

You sound like you are doing really well, don't give up and I can't recommend NCT enough. smile

mathanxiety Sat 22-Aug-09 04:52:23

I used a compress of a very hot washcloth applied to the boob not the nipple area. Talking extremely hot; boiled water let cool a bit. I don't know why it worked, but it seemed to relax the duct? Also I used different nursing positions; lying down, regular baby on lap (boppy pillow), and 'football hold' with baby at my side lying on support pillow, legs sort of around my back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now