Talk

Advanced search

is this a growth spurt or am i doing something wrong?

(5 Posts)
lydiathetattooedlady Thu 20-Aug-09 08:39:07

ds is 6 weeks, up until saturday he was feeding every 3 hours in the night which i could cope with. once it gets to 1.30am he is up and wanting feeding every hour, couple this with a dp on nights and a 2 1/2 year old dd who want stay in erh own bed im shattered!
is this a growth spurt?? his feeds havent decreased/increased in the day its just night time that has changed. im feeding on demand (as i did with dd) am i right in thinking if he is crying and he takes the boob he is hungry or am i feeding when should i be looking for another reason to him crying??
dp thinks if i give up and give him bottles it'll make it easier but i dont see how and i dont want to! any suggestions welcome x

lydiathetattooedlady Thu 20-Aug-09 08:43:18

just thought to addd, i dont think he's got his day and nights confused as he goes straight to sleep after feed unlike in the day when he'll stay awake for a bit.

MrsBadger Thu 20-Aug-09 08:57:15

you sound like you are doing brilliantly smile,

bottles won't help - and imagine getting up every hour to boil a kettle and measure powder etc!
if DP is still arsey about it, tell him he'd have to get up and make them with a screaming baby in one arm...this often shuts them up.

it is quite probably a growth spurt, 6wks is a classic time, and he probably is truly hungry at night, so don't go mad shushing, rocking etc if bf puts him out like a light.

One possibility would be to cosleep, so at least you don't have to get up to feed him, just roll over...

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 20-Aug-09 09:00:22

It does sound like a growth spurt. Just go with it and feed whenever he wants to, that way your supply will increase to match his needs as quickly as possible. Fighting it and trying to avoid feeds just prolongs the agony!

Good luck, sounds like you are doing really well

hairband Thu 20-Aug-09 09:05:06

Hello
Just wanted to say I am going through something similar with my LO of a similar age, and think it's down to a growth spurt.. my supply has increased since last week due to just letting him demand feed... and fennel tea bags seem to have made a difference but don't know if that is just an old wives tale!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now