Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sticky residue on silicone parts of breast pump - what is this???

(9 Posts)
DamnHisEyes Wed 19-Aug-09 22:40:51

I pulled out my three-year old breast pump and found the silicone bits a bit sticky. Thought maybe I'd not washed them properly or something so gave them a good scrub and they seemed better. Then put them into the steriliser with a Milton tablet and now all the things inside - including the plastic bottles - seem to be covered with the sticky residue.

Anyone got any idea what the heck it is? And how to get rid of it? Or do I have to chuck out everything (waah!)?

gigglewitch Wed 19-Aug-09 22:45:24

they do that - sorry to tell you - can you contact the manufacturer and replace the silicone bits? Better than getting a complete new one imho smile I blamed it on putting them in the dishwasher in their later life - but they all went sticky and no way I came up with got it off.

DamnHisEyes Wed 19-Aug-09 22:48:41

Good idea, gigglewitch. Darn darn darn I had all sorts inside that thing and from different manufacturers as well grrrrr.

gigglewitch Wed 19-Aug-09 23:10:17

if there happens to be a chemist around I'd love to know why it happens. Same has happened to the rubbery bits on the tommy tippee cups after a couple of years of use - not for one child I hasten to add, we've got three and I've kept some of the same cups in use. Bleepin annoying.

gigglewitch Wed 19-Aug-09 23:11:04

ps if it's the avent/isis then you can get all the bits. I did wink

DamnHisEyes Wed 19-Aug-09 23:12:36

It IS an ISIS actually right I'm onto their website! But also happened with some Tommy Tippee spoons I had - which I don't think are silicone... those pink ones with soft tips? Chucked those out as thought they were one-offs...

AbricotsSecs Wed 19-Aug-09 23:13:31

Message withdrawn

DamnHisEyes Wed 26-Aug-09 01:19:30

Well just in case anyone's still wondering... I emailed Philip's Avent and asked them why the thing was sticky and could they reassure me that the silicone hasn't deteriorated and isn't harmful to use. And I got an email back saying sometimes milk left a sticky residue. And I could try cleaning it with a water and vinegar solution.

So I sent another email back saying I was quite sure it was not milk, as I'd cleaned the damn parts with soap before but had no idea what this sticky thing was and also it seemed to have gotten over all the other stuff. And that if it was milk surely it would have happened before.

So then they called me back and repeated some carefully worded statement (or maybe call centre textbook answer) about silicone not always staying clear and becoming cloudy over time.

At which point I decided either they're very well trained to avoid liability or too daft to deal with a hard question. So I said thank you fine forget it. And will try boiling the parts in a water and vinegar solution.

Stay tuned for what happens next.

gigglewitch Wed 26-Aug-09 01:42:58

<<staying tuned>> grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now