Talk

Advanced search

Any bfers using sympto-thermal method pls talk to me

(7 Posts)
Ginni Wed 19-Aug-09 19:22:31

DD is almost 8 months, got my periods back at 6 months. Have had bad experiences with the pill in the past and other methods of contraception and am interested in sympto-thermal for a number of reasons. Anyone using this? How are you getting on? Can you recommend a good website which discusses bf and this method of contraception, a link to comprehensive charts to print out etc? btw I don't want this to turn into a discussion of other methods of contraception for bfers as that's being dealt with else where on this board.
Thanks

mawbroon Wed 19-Aug-09 22:13:59

Ginni - I would really recommend reading Taking Charge of your Fertility by Toni Weschler. There is a small section in it about breastfeeding, but the main bulk of the book is what you need to understand first IYSWIM. There are charts in the book that you can copy too. They come in different varieties - for pg avoider, pg achievers and also in celcius and farenheit!

I started temping about 3yrs ago, but to ttc, not as contraception.

I had to give up on the temps because my ds moved into his own bed, and instead of getting a few seconds to take my temp before getting him from his cot, he used to climb into my bed and then the temp was no longer valid.

However, I was also able to track my cycle from the cervical fluid and cervial position. I am now pg after ttc for about 2.5yrs, but I would be confident enough to use this method as contraception.

HTH

mawbroon Wed 19-Aug-09 22:23:59

Sorry, forgot to mention that ds was breastfeeding all this time whilst charting (still is).

Although I had a pretty regular cycle, I ovulated all over the place, sometimes as late as day 20, depending on how much feeding ds was doing.

I wish I had discovered this method years ago! It is amazing how much I have learned about my body.

norktasticninja Wed 19-Aug-09 22:26:32

I've used cervical fluid and position as well as an ovulation microscope, not for contraception but for TTC. Not done temping though.

Anyway, I just wanted to recommend an ovulation microscope as something that might work well together with temping.

There could well be some good information on KellyMom although probably not charts etc.

PacificDogwood Wed 19-Aug-09 22:28:25

Is this of interest?

Sorry, I have no personal experience.

Ginni Fri 21-Aug-09 09:56:42

Thanks all, I shall buy the book

mawbroon Fri 21-Aug-09 13:53:02

Hope it works for you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now