Talk

Advanced search

Any mums out there who simply chose not to breastfeed??

(179 Posts)
YummyorSlummy Wed 19-Aug-09 15:05:36

For the reason that they didn't really want to? I bottlefed from the offset as I wanted my dh to do his share and had a bad pregnancy so wanted to give my body a rest after giving birth. Just wondering if any other women simply decided not to bf from the start??

HoppityBunny Wed 19-Aug-09 15:12:04

My sister for starts. She said she felt like a dummy bfg so she stops within a week.

potplant Wed 19-Aug-09 15:12:44

There's plenty - I would guess that there are more bottle fed than breast fed babies.

On my post natal ward out of 6 patients I was the only one that did. Lots of my friends and other mums I came across either never tried at all or gave up after a couple of weeks.

Disclaimer: obvioulsy my sample group is hardly scientific and I'm willing to admit I may well be wrong.

HoppityBunny Wed 19-Aug-09 15:14:20

Hold on? To give your body a rest? It's the bfg that shrinks your womb back to normal and stops the periods that's body rest.

YummyorSlummy Wed 19-Aug-09 15:18:54

My womb shrunk pack to normal pretty much straight away and am not that concerned about periods Iv never suffered much anyway, but I understand thats not always the case for everyone! It did give me a rest, my dh and I took it turns from the start so I still got some full night sleeps and lie ins. Also after having my baby jut before xmas it was nice to be able to enjoy having a drink or four again!

GoldenSnitch Wed 19-Aug-09 15:24:03

Ah, a few lie ins and a drink at christmas - that's worth your baby missing out on all those health benefits for!! hmm

random Wed 19-Aug-09 15:25:26

I choose to bottle feed ...My baby my choice

random Wed 19-Aug-09 15:26:04

chose*

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Wed 19-Aug-09 15:26:30

I had my baby not long before Christmas, breastfed, and enjoyed a good few drinks.

I am all for choice but come on, don't make it sound like BF doesn't allow you sleep, messes up your body, stops you drinking... it doesn't.

I am pleased that you are happy with your choice of course

YummyorSlummy Wed 19-Aug-09 15:32:28

My baby is perfectly healthy, has never had a cold or infection in his life, and since being weaned onto solid food has had a healthy balanced diet (not a jar in sight!quite proud!) he has reached all of his developmental milestones. I think you have misconstrued my point goldensnitch. The main reason for me not breasfeeding was because I'd had a difficult pregnancy and wanting dh to help with the feeds once ds was born. The drink was a bonus grin
I think its the process of good mothering as a whole, not just breasfeeding, that results in happy and healthy children.
If a mum breastfed her child and then weaned him/her onto a diet of turkey twizzlers do you think said child would be as healthy as a ff child who went on to have a diet full of fruit and veg?? hmm

GoldenSnitch Wed 19-Aug-09 15:33:11

DC2 is due 27th December. I'll be breastfeeding just like I did with DS who slept through from 10 weeks.

YummyorSlummy Wed 19-Aug-09 15:35:23

I wasn't suggesting that bf babies take longer to sleep throught the night than ff babies snitch- theres no difference there it just depends on the child.

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Wed 19-Aug-09 15:36:31

Wow YummyorSlummy how lovely to be so perfect never having a cold is a sure sign of your success as a mother, congratulations.

GoldenSnitch Wed 19-Aug-09 15:40:30

FF babies are more likely to get ill though, your child has just been lucky.

I had pre eclampsia and an emergency section - I still wasn't risking it just so I could share the job with DH

skybright Wed 19-Aug-09 15:40:38

I chose to bottlefeed my second child from the start. This was based on the fact that i had an extremely lively two year old and i just could'nt see how i would be able to sit down long enough to breastfeed as with my first and later with my third child i seemed to do nothing but breastfeed for a good few weeks.

StretchFucksTheMailDaily Wed 19-Aug-09 15:40:58

My son was fully bf, weaned at 6months, blw, and has had 4 colds in 4 months. He also hasn't yet reached all of his milestones (mainly speech) And this proves what???

YummyorSlummy Wed 19-Aug-09 15:41:41

I was stating the fact that he has never had a cold because of people's claims that ff babies catch more colds and infections than bf babies, just wanted to point out that he's perfectly healthy! Wow, am surprised at some of the sarcastic comments on here. Isn't this supposed to be a site where mums support each other regardless of their feeding choices?! Hate it when people judge other's abilities or 'success' as a mother based on whether or not they bf their child. My ds is loved and well cared for. Doesn't that matter more than how he was fed?

gypsymoon Wed 19-Aug-09 15:42:02

Surely goood mothering as a whole has a lot to do with sacrifice?

Giving up a career, quitting smoking, even bf because you know it's best even if it means a few more hard months for you?

I admire your strength of conviction and owning your choice - you shouldn't feel as though you have to defend it.

I gave up a very successful promising career to stay at home and breastfeed my babies. I was judged for years and it affected me deeply. Now, I have no need or desire to go on a public forum to validate my choices. I'm proud of the mother I am and the choices I've made.

Trikken Wed 19-Aug-09 15:42:12

I chose not to. ff felt right for me at the time, am now going through the process of deciding whether or not to bf or ff my baby who is due in November.

GoldenSnitch Wed 19-Aug-09 15:43:27

"I was stating the fact that he has never had a cold because of people's claims that ff babies catch more colds and infections than bf babies"

It's not a claim - it's a fact

mumface Wed 19-Aug-09 15:43:29

Yummy I found pregnancy really draining & couldn't face the thought of breastfeeding.I didn't want to. Don't like all this trying to make bottlefeeders feel inferior.It gets on my tits (Unlike my babies)angry My 3 were all bottle fed.Perfectly healthy happy children. Well done for making an informed choice on what is the right thing to do for your family.

YummyorSlummy Wed 19-Aug-09 15:44:10

Yes, goldensnitch. My child has had a lucky escape! After all, formula feeding is a dangerous and risky game! Would formula even be available if this were the case hmm

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Wed 19-Aug-09 15:45:47

YummyorSlummy those 'claims' are facts. You don't have to like them. And of course how your DS is cared for is more important than how he is fed - you didn't have to start a thread about feeding methods hmm

Stretch you're clearly not trying hard enough. Neither am I re speech. Perhaps our two experiences can be used as proof that breastfeeding delays speech? Oh, wait, they're just anecdotes!

FuriousofTunbridgeWells Wed 19-Aug-09 15:47:01

Oh ok I'm out of here, you start of all positive and smug but then it descends into 'bfing is a load of rubbish' - well it's not - tough shit.

TheProvincialLady Wed 19-Aug-09 15:47:46

Goldensnitch and FuriousofTunbridgeWells I don't think it is kind or helpful to sneer at other people's reasons for not BF. Do you think that it makes people feel more like BF? Or do you think it gives people the idea that BFers and anyone trying to help others BF are nasty, judgemental mafia types?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now