Talk

Advanced search

I think my milk may be drying up...

(10 Posts)
tinierclanger Wed 19-Aug-09 13:09:36

DS is just over 1 now, for quite a while has just been having an early morning feed and a bedtime one.

The past few feeds, in particular the early morning one, he is getting frustrated and just coming off and wailing, then I swap him to the other side, he has a bit more of a suckle, then the same again. I can't feel a let down and although I suppose it is happening eventually as after a few minutes he starts swallowing more often, it seems to be taking longer and longer.

Is it time to just admit it's over and give up? I'm a bit worried he may not get the same pleasure from a cup of milk and may be harder to settle as a result.

weasle Wed 19-Aug-09 16:21:59

hi, in a rush so can't stop but bumping for you.

i had this exactly this problem a few weeks ago and had good advice here.

i re-introduced 1 or 2 daytime feeds and things are much better. i think my supply or let down can't cope with only twice a day feeds (ds 20 months). i was keen to carry on as only way he will go to sleep!

peppapighastakenovermylife Wed 19-Aug-09 16:44:42

Have your periods come back? I find in the days before my period and during it I seem to have less milk (hormones). Have you been taking any over the counter medication or anything? Are you stressed out?

It is not necessarily low milk supply though - something in his mouth may be sensitive? Is he teething or ill in anyway.

I find when I get to about a year and feeds are less frequent then it does take a bit longer but it is there - demonstrated wonderfully the other day when DD was sick straight after hmm. I havent been able to feel a let down for a while (DD nearly 1).

I also found with DS that when he started walking he just wasnt interested in anything that involved being quiet. Feeding him lying down in bed in the dark helped.

foreverchanges Wed 19-Aug-09 16:54:00

try these

BalloonSlayer Wed 19-Aug-09 16:55:37

I don't think you get the let-down feeling as they get older.

If I were you I'd keep going unless he stops.

My DS2 (23 months) still has morning and bedtime feeds. The morning one is very quick because he is keen to start his day. The evening one takes a long time because he wants to delay goping to bed. I have no idea how much he is actually getting.

foreverchanges Wed 19-Aug-09 16:57:45

and these and fennel tea

foreverchanges Wed 19-Aug-09 16:58:45

does work !

gypsymoon Wed 19-Aug-09 17:01:32

Be led by him...some bubbas self wean at a very early (and sometimes upsetting) age...

I agree with the other posters. Try not to stick to any kind of 'schedule'. He's growing up and his needs are different. Give it time...

tinierclanger Thu 20-Aug-09 12:45:26

Thank you all! I will try the fenugreek etc. I don't really want to stop unless he wants to. He is a bit teethy at the moment so that may be part of the problem, it's just frustrating for us both when it seems to take a while for the milk to come.

My periods are back intermittently, have been for a few months. I can't reintroduce any daytime feeds as I'm back at work and DS isn't interested in the day anyway.

I'll carry on trying as long as he wants to try but if he is self-weaning I shan't force him not to!

foreverchanges Sat 22-Aug-09 14:32:03

do you express during the day. this should increase flow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now