Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

do i need to giuve a breastfed baby extra water?

(15 Posts)
misdee Fri 27-May-05 19:21:54

never fed in the summer months. please help.

hercules Fri 27-May-05 19:22:34

No. Just feed more.

WigWamBam Fri 27-May-05 19:23:14

The make-up of your milk will adjust to suit the temperature, so unless it's really hot you shouldn't need to.

misdee Fri 27-May-05 19:23:25

so the little 'snack' feeds inbetween main ones are ok?

hercules Fri 27-May-05 19:24:16

I would say so. They didnt have bottles years ago did they.

misdee Fri 27-May-05 19:25:09

no idea, i am not that old lol.

was thinking of spoon feeding some water, but if not needed then i wont.

hercules Fri 27-May-05 19:25:39

DH was brought up in Sri Lanka and they dont give water there.

LeahE Fri 27-May-05 19:28:16

No, "snack" feeds should cover it.

hunkermunker Fri 27-May-05 19:29:02

Nope, no need. DS was born at the beginning of April last year and it was sweltering by early May - I just fed him more often and sometimes he didn't seem to want "eating" feeds, more quick snacks which I figured were more like drinks of foremilk.

eidsvold Mon 30-May-05 11:30:02

misdee - dd2 was born Nov - our summer and I noticed that she seemed to have more 'snacks' on really hot days to help her stay hydrated.

LottieG Mon 30-May-05 14:00:39

Hi! Just wanted to say that for the first 3 months of my daughter's life we were living in a very hot climate - up to 44 degrees C at times - and dd didn't have any water at all, just breast milk.

I did notice that when it was particularly hot she like to just drink the foremilk!

hth

collision Mon 30-May-05 14:05:41

BF babies dont need extra water tho Bottle fed babies do. DS is nearly 7 months and I have just introduced him to a cup but he tends to just take more foremilk when he is thirsty.

Clever, isnt it????!!

wysiwyg Sun 05-Jun-05 01:01:42

This is an interesting thread. I found myself wondering about why a certain make of cup/beaker is from 3 months upwards and doubted that BF was enough. Was told water not necessary.

Cooperoo Sun 05-Jun-05 06:13:58

I moved to Cyprus when dd was approx 4 mths and b/f. It was August and ridiculously hot but I did not have to give her any water. I noticed that when I expressed the consistency of my breast milk had changed. It was a lot more watery and discussed it with the HV and she said that the body adjusts to provide for your baby. How clever. I did need to feed a bit more to begin with but nothing drastic. HTH.

flobbleflobble Sun 05-Jun-05 09:04:03

Make sure you drink lots!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now