Talk

Advanced search

Reaction to formula (Actimel)

(15 Posts)
DMG Mon 17-Aug-09 14:24:42

Hello!

I fed my baby with actimel for one feed for the first time on Friday (with a view to weaning him off the breast on to the bottle) and he had a major reaction to it. He was violently sick about an hour after the feed and then came up in a severe rash. Have seen GP etc who is being a bit vague about what to do next.

Has anyone else experienced this? and if so got any advice on alternative makes of formula ?

Thanks!

castille Mon 17-Aug-09 14:26:50

Sorry, no advice but don't you mean Aptamil?

Actimel is a probiotic drink...grin

moondog Mon 17-Aug-09 14:27:35

I'd carry on breastfeeding.

DMG Mon 17-Aug-09 14:50:25

I do mean Aptamil! baby brain!!

thisisyesterday Mon 17-Aug-09 14:53:07

it sounds as though it was an allergic reaction.

in which case i owuld continue breastfeeding, absolutely no question.

bedlambeast Mon 17-Aug-09 15:20:09

Message withdrawn

DMG Mon 17-Aug-09 15:38:56

That's my fear... an allergic baby... he's 8 weeks old.

Interesting re your friend - thanks.. will watch out.

I'm off to see a different gp this pm to see what he says and what to do next... I'm inclined to stick to BF but am moving house in October and am reliant on friends to look after him whilst moving - hence wanting to get the odd formula feed in during the day - I'm a single mum and it would have made things more straight forward for the move!!

Thanks for your info re your friend. Will watch out.

BertieBotts Mon 17-Aug-09 15:44:04

Hmm.. Have you tried a sling? If you can master feeding in a sling, you could rope in your friends to help with the moving instead, you could do lots of directing, and moving of soft/light things with baby in the sling and feed as and when.

Or have you thought about leaving expressed breast milk?

Snowtiger Mon 17-Aug-09 15:49:18

A nutritionist friend of mine recommended some formulas to me when my DS was suffering from colic - I never used them in the end but she told me there are some you can get that are soya milk based and goats milk based, so maybe your DS wouldn't be allergic to them? Needless to say can't remember what they were called but sure you could google 'goats milk based formula' or something. Sorry can't be more help!

TamTam29 Mon 17-Aug-09 16:10:06

AS DS had a rash, not just sickness, i would say it was a reaction to something too, however some reactions are delayed so although it is most likely the formula,it could be something you ate, my friends baby is allergic to cows milk & is so sensitive my friend cannot eat diary products whilst bf

however - noticed your lo is 8 weeks - they can be a bit more sensitive after their jabs. some can have a rash too. Also the couple of times I have given DS2 a bottle (he is 9 weeks) he has drunk far to quick and ended up very colicky and had projectile sickness, despite having the smallest size teat and stopping several times whilst feeding! The rash/sickness could be a coincedence?

I wasnt there so dont mean to offend you - DS1 has various mild allergies so I know how scary allergic reactions can be.

you could start expressing and freeze the mlik ready for your move. DS should be in more of a regular feeding pattern and may only need one bottle feed anyway.

I would avoid soya based milk unless prescribed as that is supposed to cause lots of problems and is low in iron.

DMG Mon 17-Aug-09 20:31:32

Thanks everyone - as a first timer to this site really useful to have everyones comments and reassuring that I'm not going bonkers.

WoTmania Tue 18-Aug-09 07:13:16

DMG You might find that at 4 months ish your DS will be going longer between feeds anyway so your friends couold maybe bring him to you at some during the move . I, personally would use a sling and make the most of the opportunity to sit and direct other people. I'm assuming you have friends who will help witht eh actual moving.
Hope everything sorts itself out.

belgo Tue 18-Aug-09 07:40:20

My baby has a cow's milk protein allergy, it gives him a nasty rash and eczema and I am very glad I'm able to breastfeed him, it really is the healthiest option for him.

The advice I was given was not to give cow's milk formula or any dairy until he is over one year old, and then be very careful when I try him with it.

I was also told not to give soya formula-
there are problems associated with giving a soya based formula at this young age - something to do with it containing plant hormones and also some babies can go on to develop a soya allergy. I personally have stayed away from soya formula milk.

Littledawley Tue 18-Aug-09 07:43:59

If it isn't a cows milk reaction and you want to give formula then try different brands. DS was on SMA but DD couldn't digest is so had Aptimil, DD2 couldn't manage that so is on Cow & Gate. They do all differ.

belgo Tue 18-Aug-09 07:58:01

I would advise against trying any more formula milks until you've had good medical advice - my ds was referred to paediatricians when he had a reaction similar to your baby.

I think you should speak to your health visitor or GP again and try and get a referral to the allergy clinic or paediatrician, someone who knows what they are talking about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now