Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

have been made to feel like a bad mummy

(7 Posts)
mothersmilk Mon 17-Aug-09 10:16:57

ds bf nearly 1 ok 11 months has to have a bottle twice a week only 5 onces as he doesnt want loads since about 8/9 months its been full fat cows milk due to the fact i coulnt be faffed with formula and dd is 3 and has full fat
a good friend has told its terrible and i should be giving formula is she right?
i just figured well he gets all his good stuff from me he feeds like 5 plus times a day a little bit of full fat just so dh can put him tyo sleep whilst im at work wouldnt hurt

belgo Mon 17-Aug-09 10:19:40

No of course it's not terrible! He can drink cow's milk as long as breastmilk or formula milk is his main milk.

When he is one, he can have cow's milk as a main milk. Or of course continue breastfeedingsmile

GirlsAreLoud Mon 17-Aug-09 10:22:42

No that's fine, exactly what belgo said.

Well done for still b/f at 11 months.

It's absolutely fine, your friend has just got her facts wrong, it wouldn't be ok to have cows milk as the main source of milk until they are one, but your ds's main souce is bf'ing.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Mon 17-Aug-09 16:15:14

Some people seem to think they shouldn't have cow's milk at all before one but that's not it. As others have said, as long as BM or FM is the main source of milk, some cow's milk won't hurt. I've given DS one or two bottles of cow's when no formula available. Also - at 11 months he will be getting plenty of nutrients from food as well as BM.

moondog Tue 18-Aug-09 14:53:45

Silly woman, sucked in by all the ads probably. hmm

Cows' milk is fine, he doesn't need formula. Actually, he doesn't even realy need milk. Mine never had it after finshing breastfeeding at 11 months, beyond what available in cereal, cheese, youghurt and so on.

BubbaAndBump Thu 20-Aug-09 07:08:24

I'm slightly confused on this subject because I thought the same as most messages here (fine if not as main milk source), but a friend's health visitor has just told her she should switch to cow's milk now (10mnths) in preparation for her going back to work next month??
I'm still BFing my 10 month old but she's just started to drop bedtime feed from me, so was considering cow's milk on strength of friend's advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now